DOs with a P on Step 1 without Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kardio

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I planned on taking Step 1 without Step 2 the moment I applied to DO schools. I wanted to spend my first two years buried in the books & my latter two years focused on the wards without great concern for another mega test. Then, during my application cycle, they announced the shift of Step 1 to P/F.

I’ve recently passed Step 1 & Level 1. My practice scores, by the end of dedicated, had been in the low 230s. I still prefer to spend 3rd year focused on patients and clinical performance rather than the next big test.

How do we think PDs will view DOs with Step 1 passes but without Step 2 scores? What fields/programs will likely be open to it? The paper below leads me to believe that just having the P will make some meaningful difference.
1657376526429.png

Members don't see this ad.

That data is kinda worthless without knowing the Step 2 data as well…. I can pretty confidently say the people who matched likely had Step 2 score to go along with with their Step 1. With a P score programs are going to want to see both of them.

Reactions: 1 users
That data is kinda worthless without knowing the Step 2 data as well…. I can pretty confidently say the people who matched likely had Step 2 score to go along with with their Step 1. With a P score programs are going to want to see both of them.

Yeah that’s a good point. Just checked gas, rads, and GS in charting outcomes and it’s pretty clear that the vast majority of folks sat for both Step 1 and Step 2. Not a big difference in the ‘score unknown’ column between Steps 1 and 2 - much smaller than I was thinking it would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also studying for step 2 is a lot easier than step 1. It’s a clinical test so studying for it will help you in clinical medicine and vice versa. It’s a much more enjoyable test to study for imo

Reactions: 1 user
Kardio, you are smarter than this and I know that you know the answer. Take the exam. You can do it.

Reactions: 2 users
100% agree with Neopolymath - take the exam. One of the DOs I assisted in the research/application process for residency regrets not doing so. They believe it would have made them competitive to some higher tier traditionally MD programs if they had. That being said, they matched their #1.

Reactions: 1 user