Dosimetry job market/outlook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AB90HBX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not really sure where would be the most appropriate place for this post; but this forum seems the most relevant for such a broad question.

Anyone whose currently working in the radiation oncology setting have any predictions about the future of the Medical Dosimetry job market? Anything you'd like to share about the current market?

It's hard to get a real answer out of the program directors and "market surveys", so I thought it would be best to ask those who are in the field and without bias.

The reason I ask, is because I was recently accepted into a Dosimetry program but have some reservations regarding the job market. While the career certainly interests me, I also have to be practical. I know the jobs are out there but they seem to be far and few between considering the fact that schools seem to be cranking out a decent number of students per year I'm not sure what that could mean to the career in the future.

Additionally, experience seems to be key in this field. Many Dosimetry programs require previous ARRT certification to be considered, this seems to be the standard. I just so happen to of been accepted into a program that does not require previous RT experience. For the past 3 years I've only been involved in managing oncology related clinical trials so my clinical experience is limited and hands-on radiation therapy experience non-existant.

I look forward to your input. :)

Members don't see this ad.

From my limited exposure to the subject (friend who is a dosimetrist), it seems like jobs may be difficult to come by depending on what part of the country you are looking at. However, she knows people who do locum tenens and if you aren't restricted by location, they seem to do quite well.

I'll see if I can find out any further information for you.

Dosimetry, just like radiation oncology, is a pretty specialized field. That means while you'll most likely be able to get a job, if you have a specific area of the country in which you must live, you might be out of luck.

If you're flexible about where you live, however, dosimetry is an amazing field. You're paid very, very well, have great hours, and don't have to deal with the "ickier" parts of medicine.

My fiance's a dosimetrist, and believe me it can be a great job. (Hey, at least it's not a cliche as marrying a nurse...)

t

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you would think it would happen more often ...

You know, there's a joke in there about a combination between "Grey's Anatomy" and "30 Rock" and a the resulting show about a the production of a show about a radonc department called "30 Grey".

-S

I don't think schools are pumping out a lot of students into this field, if I'm not mistaken. There are only a limited number of colleges accredited for dosimetry, therefore, it seems that saturation of this field is far from now. At the same time, dosimetrists are not being widely utilized/recognized, however, it is growing. So, put yourself into a positive side :)

As to experiences prior to entering the program, I'm sure the program will prepare you to be a competent dosimetrist as others who have had experiences since you have been accepted. Btw, congrats!

Hey thanks for the input everyone! Encouraging to hear that the demand is still there for the time being. :D

Just not sure how committed I am to the idea of moving. This seems to be my biggest hurdle in the decision making process.

I don't think schools are pumping out a lot of students into this field, if I'm not mistaken. There are only a limited number of colleges accredited for dosimetry, therefore, it seems that saturation of this field is far from now.

I guess the way I'm looking at the field is that at my school alone they are graduating 15 dosimetrists/year. As I understand there are 11 other accredited dosimetry BS or certificate programs in the US, which put out 2-10 dosimetrists/year.

Nationally I'd hazard a guess that 45 dosimetrists are created every year. Not exactly pumping out students; but in a field as small as dosimetry the supply seems to have the possibility to eclipse the demand.

I've talked to some of the previous years students of the program I plan to attend and 3 were hired right away locally. But most of them were out of work for 6-12 months or so before finding something nationally. I think 2-3 of them went on to do something else unrelated to dosimetry.

The numbers just make me a little weary about the future of the profession.