double major bio/spanish in 4 years?

smiley612

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a current senior in high school,
so far i've been accepted to uci chp,
and i'm waiting on usc (i didnt receive either of the two big merit scholarships) and ucla..

... and assuming i even get in..
{ 2310/2250 , 800 800 800 750 720 730, 3.86/4.72, not much extracurrics except hospital volunteering and independent research }

how hard would it be to double major in bio and spanish?
is this possible in 4 years? i will probably be taking classes in the summer every year (if that helps?)
i'm also pre-med..

my ap scores are:
bio 5
chem 5
spanish lang 4
calc ab 4
psych 5
art history 4
euro hist 5

currently taking [likely score]:
physics b [3/4]
span lit [4]
eng lit [5]
calc bc [4/5]
microecon [5]
compsci a [3/4]

would it be a smart idea to waive all these courses? or would i be at a disadvantage, going up against students who have already taken them?

and any ideas on how much of a help this additional major in spanish would be in med school acceptance, compared to having a spanish minor instead?

thanks everyone! it would help a lot if you're answers were specific to uci/ucla/usc, but any general information is fine :)

Members don't see this ad.

Double majoring in bio and spanish is definitely doable. You probably won't even have to take summer classes if you don't need to. classes at ucla are very flexible. for example, there are four lower div bio classes required for the bio major. those bio clases are offered every quarter, so there is a lot of flexibility in choosing classes. You should definitely take the AP spanish lit test and do well on it so you can pass out of the first couple of spanish classes. med schools actually like it if you know spanish because there is a growing hispanic population in the united states, and it'll be useful for communication with your patients.

Spanish is a great second major. Do not skip the intro classes for BIO, CHEM, and Physics. Medical schools do not like seeing AP credits for pre reqs and you risk a low grade in a difficult upper level. If you go the BA route for biology (as opposed to BS) I think you should easily be able to complete both in four years with no summers. Let me know if you have any other questions.