Double Major for Med School?

c5212

to look fly in scrubs
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be more beneficial to double major BIOLOGY & HUMANITIES MAJOR ~or~ just a HUMANITIES MAJOR along with the general Pre-Med requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

I does not matter at all. As long as you get a bachelor's degree, no one cares what the major or majors were.

I understand that it doesn't matter in regards of gaining acceptance, I just wanted to know if double majoring in bio/human. would help you more on the MCAT- sorry, should have been more specific

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, in that case I think it helps a little. There were a couple questions on the MCAT, that I got from my upper level bio classes. However, if I had directed the amount of effort I took in getting the bio major towards actually studying the MCAT, I think I would have been better off. If you can master EVERYTHING presented in general bio, than you are good to go for the MCAT.

Humanities major -- great!

I double majored in hums and sci, and at my interviews, they were far more interested in talking about the humanities stuff than the science part. I feel very passionate about the stuff I did, that always shows, and they seem to like people who are passionate...

Also, if you are doing something "language/lit" heavy, it will help with the verbal MCAT no end. I think it is definitively easier to study biology and biochem to increase the score quickly, but verbal takes a lot more time and is a steady process. Def. :thumbup: for the hums major. You might have also noticed that the preparation books (no name mentioned) for the verbal part are usually very thin... because there is no list of concepts people can study. Preparation for verbal is a process, cramming has little effect.

If you can, double major, but only if you feel passionate about the other major.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I understand that it doesn't matter in regards of gaining acceptance, I just wanted to know if double majoring in bio/human. would help you more on the MCAT- sorry, should have been more specific

taking more humanities courses would help with the MCAT, but majoring in a humanities subject when you don't have the interest/passion for it would be excessive. your major should be something that you really enjoy studying -- if bio is truly your interest then go for it, otherwise just finish the pre-med requirements and then take supplementary courses if you feel they are necessary.

The MCAT is more hype than anything else. They don't put anything on there that you can't handle after the pre-reqs. If you threw in physiology and genetics then you could gain a little better understanding but a full science majors? Naw.

If you are really jonesing to take classes like plant bio with lab then go for it. I wasn't, so I didn't. I did have extra science classes but they were only the ones that interested me. I actually was "declared" as a bio major on top of my other but I never had any intention of completing it.

Doing well in one major > doing okay as a double major. (ex: I would rather get a 3.75 as a single major than a 3.5 as a double major)

I don't know how you handle you would handle your courseload, ECs, and working at the same time, but I think double majoring could potential hurt by becoming overloaded.

If I were you, I would choose the major you would enjoy the most (it seems like Humanities).

Doing well in one major > doing okay as a double major. (ex: I would rather get a 3.75 as a single major than a 3.5 as a double major)

I don't know how you handle you would handle your courseload, ECs, and working at the same time, but I think double majoring could potential hurt by becoming overloaded.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: