doubleminded, confused! help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desidreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

This is my first time posting here so I apologize if I have posted in a wrong forum! Took a long time to figure out how it works lol ! so anyway! I am 21 years old female with pipe dream of becoming a doctor someday! I work fulltime to support myself and have finished at community college! I want to major in biology but where thats the problem! I live in Connecticut so I have two options!
Uconn- pretty good reputation! however faraway and financially wise not so great!
SCSU- closer and affordable but people have been scaring me about how my degree wont matter if I choose this school!
I honestly am losing my sleep over this , because I clearly care about my education but life factors are hurdling my dream. does it really matter where I go for my bachelors ? please need your feedback ! thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Where you go to obtain your bachelors does hold weight to a certain extent when medical schools are considering you as an applicant. For example, a 3.8 GPA at a Ivy-League institution is very different than a 3.8 GPA at a lower tier smaller college. Admissions committees take this into consideration, and are very aware of which schools are usually more stingy with their A's and what not.

That being said, going to a more "prestigious" (Ill go with that description) institution would essentially give you some wiggle room, and allow for a lower GPA that's acceptable for medical school. I have a friend that had a 3.2 GPA and got into Brown medical school; the catch is he got his bachelors from Columbia University. Albeit, he had a lot of other things going for him, which leads me into my next point...

Ultimately, where you get your bachelors done is only a small piece of your application. What truly matters is a collection of extra curricula, experiences, good grades, decent MCAT, and a genuine passion to better mankind through being a physician. If you can relay your passion to prospective medical schools through all those things I just mentioned, then I don't think your undergraduate institution should matter all that much.

Reactions: 1 user
Sooooo many exlamation points...

Grades matter more than school choice

You're going to have to work hard and get good grades at either school. But if it were me, i'd go to the closer and more affordable school.

Reactions: 1 user