Downward Trend After Transferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexd0223

Reaction score
So basically, I transferred from a small private college my junior year to Vanderbilt. I started my freshman year with a 3.5 first semester GPA, then held a 4.0 for the next three. After I transferred, I had a 3.85 my first semester at vandy and am now looking at a 3.5-3.6 this semester. So, after this semester, a 3.86 cumulative.

Will this look suspicious to adcoms (assuming I do relatively well my final two semesters)? I feel like I can explain the dip having gone through the transfer process relatively late in my college career and also biting off a bit more than I can chew this semester. However, I don't want it to look like I just "gave up" after transferring up.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Curious about this too as I have a ~4.0 from CC and finally transferring to university but this is my "crunch year" with ochem, physics, biochem, and don't want to presume I won't end up with a 3.5 or 3.6 year as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not like your GPA fell off a cliff after transferring. You still have a good GPA. Keep your head down and eyes forward. Do as well as you can at Vandy; prepare for the MCAT as if your career in medicine depends on it (it does); and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: 5 users
So basically, I transferred from a small private college my junior year to Vanderbilt. I started my freshman year with a 3.5 first semester GPA, then held a 4.0 for the next three. After I transferred, I had a 3.85 my first semester at vandy and am now looking at a 3.5-3.6 this semester. So, after this semester, a 3.86 cumulative.

Will this look suspicious to adcoms (assuming I do relatively well my final two semesters)? I feel like I can explain the dip having gone through the transfer process relatively late in my college career and also biting off a bit more than I can chew this semester. However, I don't want it to look like I just "gave up" after transferring up.
Your cGPA isn't tanking from a 4.0 to something like a 3.2 overall. 3.86 cGPA is fantastic and you will be fine.

That's called a fluctuation or an adjustment, but not a declining GPA -- especially if it goes back up next year.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user