Doximity Publishes a Residency (Ranking) Navigator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joriel

Always Lurking
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, Doximity published their Residency Navigator, which they are using as a GME program RANK list.

"The rankings were based on the following measurements:
PROGRAM RANKING The default rank for programs prior to any filters being applied – such as
location, preferences, or fellowships – is based on the count of peer nominations, in descending order,
with geographical regional weighting to accommodate for population variances. The numbered rank
column for top 10 programs will only appear when logged out of Doximity, in order to give a quick
“snap-shot” of the top programs. In contrast, when logged in to Doximity, a list of 20 programs will
display, individualized to a user’s preferences, without a rank column."

EM Ranking here.
Full methodology here.

I understand how this is helpful for a med student applying to a specialty with a plan to sub-specialize (you can apply settings that let you see percentages for sub-specialization, etc) but I have difficulty accepting this as a legitimate ranking system for EM programs producing community docs (what most of us are).

Of note, once you login you can no longer see the rank number for programs but the initial list is the ranked order.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

CORD sent out a statement criticizing this survey and asking all academic faculty to not participate, I thought that CORD was in the right and chose not to participate. I think that basing one's rank list on this list is a bad idea as it doesn't account for what most of us on here consider the most important factor - the ever-ill-defined "fit".

That being said, programs 1-10 (all that I can see without logging in) are all pretty solid programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Seems beyond useless and ridiculously inaccurate.

I'll give them the "top 5" programs which are all very strong, but beyond that its all over the place.

OHSU/CWRU/EVMS/Madigan as better overall EM programs than Arizona/UNC/UMass/SLR??

Also completely ignores the fact that for people interested in community EM, Christiana and Christ should be near the top of the list.

You can't really make an accurate EM list without dividing programs into county/academic/community.

I agree. Seems silly. I do think their top programs are pretty accurate the reality is this is based on pure BS.

I hope no med student utilizes this to try to make their rank list. As stated you have to finda place where "fit" works and the place matches your interest.

The information seems to be fubared anyway. My program shows N/A for grants and clinical trials and I know for a fact that we are in the top 15 or so for NIH EM grants and we expect to be higher next year. We have tons of clinical trials going on all the time. I am not sure how accurate the info is for the other programs either.

Edit:
Looking at their methodology, it seems that a lot of their data, including research, clinical trials, grants, etc (assuming you even care about that) was derived solely from Doximity users. Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

Last edited:
Sort of like the "rate your doctor" sites. If that's how you pick, then...

The simple fact that In-N-Out Burger doesn't appear on this list (let alone hold the #1 spot it deserves) invalidates this entire escapade. Overlooking the premier program in the galaxy leads to only one logical conclusion...

Doximity be trollin'.

Reactions: 3 users
I also noticed that it only includes board certified subspecialties, not non-accredited subspecialties like ultrasound, etc. At least for my program, it doesn't seem to have counted those who went into EMS.

The simple fact that In-N-Out Burger doesn't appear on this list (let alone hold the #1 spot it deserves) invalidates this entire escapade. Overlooking the premier program in the galaxy leads to only one logical conclusion...

Doximity be trollin'.

I completely missed that. Holy crap. This has to be a joke list.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is "In-N-Out"? Is it vegas? People keep mentioning In-N-Out in the EM forums

lake_mead_us95_in-n-out.jpg

It's the best program.

I heard it was historically an academic powerhouse, but that the volume and acuity have really fallen off since Smashburger opened up down the street. Rumor has it that they're risking losing their Level I designation.

I heard it was historically an academic powerhouse, but that the volume and acuity have really fallen off since Smashburger opened up down the street. Rumor has it that they're risking losing their Level I designation.
Still #1 in PG scores. They'll get my $.

Yum!

Just a rumor....

Seriously though, this is going to become the "de facto" ranking list like US News and World Report for colleges. Smart move by Doximity. I disagree with the order they've listed the top 30 or so (that's as far as I went.) Is it terribly off? Probably not. I interviewed at a number of the "top 10 programs" and thought they were all good. I would just put a number of others (including the one I chose over them) right up there with them.

The best thing about this is now we have a place to direct med students who want (nay... demand) a ranking of programs.
If the idea of a ranking list is so darn important to you, that you'd overlook how well the program fits for you, well, then you deserve what you get. This should simplify the 20-30 threads on this subject that appear every year.

The best thing about this is now we have a place to direct med students who want (nay... demand) a ranking of programs.
If the idea of a ranking list is so darn important to you, that you'd overlook how well the program fits for you, well, then you deserve what you get. This should simplify the 20-30 threads on this subject that appear every year.
It should, but it won't.

Reactions: 1 users
At the end of the day though, when it comes to job searching right out of residency, the name and "clout" offered by your program plays a lot into who will hire you. I think this ranking system will have an unconscious effect

At the end of the day though, when it comes to job searching right out of residency, the name and "clout" offered by your program plays a lot into who will hire you. I think this ranking system will have an unconscious effect

This has not been my experience. On the other hand, having connections to the group (which are often made through residency) makes a HUGE difference.

Reactions: 1 user
WHAT might be interesting is to see how many interviews per spots the program needs and how far down the list programs go?

Also I've worked several places with doctors who graduated from the top "tier" who were quite average ( which I'm Basing off of their work ups, ddx and plans since I get their consults now. )

I stick with go anywhere and follow the path to insanity and you'll be a rock star. Don't go to a "top program" because you think it's the only way to get mad skills.

The reality is most residents don't want to go down that path which is ok, but it just further proves my point that it's more about the individual than the program.

Already knowing where I want to go, I view these kinds of rankings with the hope of finding that the programs I prefer will come out lower in the ranks, so I stand a better chance of actually going there.

In that sense this list is awesome! Please, other med students, arrange your rank lists according to it's infallible wisdom.

Reactions: 2 users
Seriously though, this is going to become the "de facto" ranking list like US News and World Report for colleges. Smart move by Doximity. I disagree with the order they've listed the top 30 or so (that's as far as I went.) Is it terribly off? Probably not. I interviewed at a number of the "top 10 programs" and thought they were all good. I would just put a number of others (including the one I chose over them) right up there with them.

already been praised by USNWR - http://health.usnews.com/health-new...dency-navigator-injects-transparency-into-gme

Already knowing where I want to go, I view these kinds of rankings with the hope of finding that the programs I prefer will come out lower in the ranks, so I stand a better chance of actually going there.

In that sense this list is awesome! Please, other med students, arrange your rank lists according to it's infallible wisdom.

Yes! Couldn't have said it better myself.

For shiggles: when the U.S. News Top 100 specialty rankings came out, I asked the editor why EM wasn't included.

This was their response (ver batim, copied and pasted from my email):

" Thank you for writing and your question.

The Best Hospitals rankings are intended to help patients who need an especially high level of care find a source of excellent care for a particular condition or procedure. While emergency medicine is vital to good hospital care, such specialties are not themselves what patients should be seeking; they should be looking for demonstrated success for their medical problem.

Regards,
Webmaster"

Ironic, since now they are all about ranking EM residencies, based completely on Doximity opinions LOL. Seems legit.

For shiggles: when the U.S. News Top 100 specialty rankings came out, I asked the editor why EM wasn't included.

This was their response (ver batim, copied and pasted from my email):

" Thank you for writing and your question.

The Best Hospitals rankings are intended to help patients who need an especially high level of care find a source of excellent care for a particular condition or procedure. While emergency medicine is vital to good hospital care, such specialties are not themselves what patients should be seeking; they should be looking for demonstrated success for their medical problem.

Regards,
Webmaster"

Ironic, since now they are all about ranking EM residencies, based completely on Doximity opinions LOL. Seems legit.
The implication being that by going to an Emergency Department one by definition, could not possibly ever achieve "demonstrated success for their medical problem"?

Wow. Profoundly insulting. Plus, in regards to Emergency Medicine: "such specialties are not themselves what patients should be seeking." How about the fact that the entire hospital industry is putting massive amounts of dollars, advertising, marketing, billboard with wait times to train people to do exactly that: seek out the Emergency Department?

There HAS to be a way to 'hack' the list to list In-N-Out as number one.

HAS to be.

This is a great ranking system if you are looking to determine:

1) The Residency Programs with the most graduates signed up for Doximity
2) The Residency Programs that have been around the longest, therefore have the most graduates that could fill out this survey
3) The Residency Programs that have the largest number of residents per class, therefore have the most graduates that could could fill out this survey (note the number of residents in the program for the top ranked programs- although I agree those are all great programs)
4) The Residency Programs that have asked their graduates to sign up for Doximity and vote (I'm not saying that any programs did this, but just to show how easy it would be to manipulate the data)

As far as the rankings go "Garbage in, Garbage out". I suppose they should look at metrics that are relatively easily attainable such as NIH funding, number and type of Grants, Publication output and impact factor- not based on survey info. And then they can ask the PD's and Chairs of different departments for their rankings- who probably have the best knowledge of different programs with the qualifier you can't rank yourself (not that any PDs or Chairs would want to necessarily fill out any rankings anywho.