DPC Questions: Geriatrics, Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLycos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some input here about whether an all geriatrics DPC practice would be viable, especially in states like PA or FL - these states have a larger geriatric population both in absolute numbers and growth rate in that demographic relative to the rest of the US. One of the hesitations I have with this is that you lose the cheap pediatric care as a loss-leader.

Also, if I were to do an all geriatrics DPC practice, I would ideally want to do a geriatrics fellowship. Would this be necessary, or would an area of concentration in geriatrics with lots of geriatric electives be enough to attract this demographic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
HI Klycos,

1) yes i believe a geriatric DPC practice is viable in most locations. It is increasingly difficult for medicare patients to get timely, accessible, adequate care that is customized to their goals. As medicare continues to cut reimbursements and/or add regulation, doctors are taking a smaller % of medicare pts in their practice. Also, many older doctors who take the most medicare pts are leaving the profession b/c of burnout. For a pure geriatrics practice, not having the pediatric loss leaders is a moot point. You're selling a service to medicare patients and their families (ie the sandwich generation).

2) Add value - can't say this enough. With the right value, you can help ensure your success -- unlimited visits, no copays, free procedures, wholesale meds, labs etc (like our practice) offers a great return for their membership.

3) Geriatric fellowship - optional - more training is great but its your comfort level. There will always be a learning curve when you leave training.

Feel free to contact me directly anytime either by email or cell. [email protected] and C 316.734.8096

As always you are the best AtlasMD. I agree about geriatrics viability, and I definitely plan to pack as much value into my practice as I can. Next year I am going to be applying to residencies and I hope there are some good DPC conversations on the interview trail. The high value essentials like unlimited visits and no copays/labs etc are a given ;) Your practice really is a great example of the perfect DPC model. We had a FMIG lunch lecture recently with a physician in PA who recently converted to a DPC practice and it was great to hear him praise your model.

always happy to help! I can email you our startup packet if you have questions or would like more info on the prices for meds/labs/imaging, sample contracts etc.

We had several medical students with us during the interview months and they said they talked a lot about DPC during their interviews.

Exciting to see the movement grow.