DPM vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hockeyfan23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to the podiatry threads but I was maybe looking for some more insight. I am a junior premed and will b taking the mcat at the end of this month. Recently I have stumbled upon podiatry and became really interested in the surgery opportunities. I am considering adding some schools to my DO apps this session. What are some of the positives and negatives of receiving a DPM over a DO? What surgery specialties are available? How is the process the same/different? how is the future of podiatry? Would going DPM be a better route to orthopedics than DO? If you could answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it. (Gpa-3.46, mcat may 24th, lots of research, Ec's, volunteering, shadowing)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're asking for someone to take a lot of time to explain all the differences in these two professions to you, while you could find the majority if not all of the answers by doing a few searches in the forums here, and looking on google.

You'd get better responses by searching on your own and finding answers, and posting here to get some clarification regarding things you found on your own.

Hi guys,

I am new to the podiatry threads but I was maybe looking for some more insight. I am a junior premed and will b taking the mcat at the end of this month. Recently I have stumbled upon podiatry and became really interested in the surgery opportunities. I am considering adding some schools to my DO apps this session. What are some of the positives and negatives of receiving a DPM over a DO? What surgery specialties are available? How is the process the same/different? how is the future of podiatry? Would going DPM be a better route to orthopedics than DO? If you could answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it. (Gpa-3.46, mcat may 24th, lots of research, Ec's, volunteering, shadowing)

You're obviously applying to DO school because you don't think you are competitive enough for allopathic schools - are you looking at podiatry for the same reason?

The surgical specialties of the podiatry career are many in number and I will list them here for you: Foot and Ankle.

If you have shadowing (like you say you do), then ask the pod you shadow about the future of the career.

If you're interested in orthopedic surgery to make >$300k per year and you get to do spinal surgeries and knee replacements, you'll find podiatry won't fulfill your desires.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're obviously applying to DO school because you don't think you are competitive enough for allopathic schools - are you looking at podiatry for the same reason?

The surgical specialties of the podiatry career are many in number and I will list them here for you: Foot and Ankle.

If you have shadowing (like you say you do), then ask the pod you shadow about the future of the career.

If you're interested in orthopedic surgery to make >$300k per year and you get to do spinal surgeries and knee replacements, you'll find podiatry won't fulfill your desires.
You are completely wrong. I am applying to DO schools because I appreciate their philosophy and the approach to medicine. I am just asking in regards to surgery which I have always been interested in. I realize that most DO students go into primary care and have a hard time competing for orthopedic residencies. I was just wondering how this compares to podiatry.

You are completely wrong. I am applying to DO schools because I appreciate their philosophy and the approach to medicine. I am just asking in regards to surgery which I have always been interested in. I realize that most DO students go into primary care and have a hard time competing for orthopedic residencies. I was just wondering how this compares to podiatry.

All podiatric residencies are surgical, and there is no competition between DPMs and DOs/MDs for residencies, as they aren't the same.

Again, this is the rest of your life you're talking about, you need to find this information out on your own, instead of trusting someone on a forum that has no obligation to you or your future, and no consequences for giving incorrect information.

Google exists for this reason, and you can easily find all the information you seek with minimal effort. Asking to be spoon fed is annoying.

I guess when I think of Osteopathic Manipulative Methods, I don't think of orthopods....

I am applying to DO schools because I appreciate their philosophy and the approach to medicine.

Just make sure to stick to your guns if you do end up going DO. As those schools become more "mainstream" (meaning in line with traditional allopathic programs), DO's are slowly losing that identity/philosophy. Go to any urgent care clinic, ER, etc. and you won't be able to tell the difference from a DO and an MD in terms of patient encounters and treatment protocols...

Just make sure to stick to your guns if you do end up going DO. As those schools become more "mainstream" (meaning in line with traditional allopathic programs), DO's are slowly losing that identity/philosophy. Go to any urgent care clinic, ER, etc. and you won't be able to tell the difference from a DO and an MD in terms of patient encounters and treatment protocols...
I understand that. Im jus looking for feedback but instead everyone chooses to bash me. I was just looking for some insight (BESIDES GOODLE) as to what your take it on the benefits and negatives to each. I do like surgery a lot and have always had a passion for it which is why i have been recently considering podiatry.

I understand that. Im jus looking for feedback but instead everyone chooses to bash me. I was just looking for some insight (BESIDES GOODLE) as to what your take it on the benefits and negatives to each. I do like surgery a lot and have always had a passion for it which is why i have been recently considering podiatry.

Brutal honesty and bashing are different.

Of the questions you asked...
What are some of the positives and negatives of receiving a DPM over a DO? What surgery specialties are available? How is the process the same/different? how is the future of podiatry? Would going DPM be a better route to orthopedics than DO?
Only one was a request for opinion regarding the positives and negatives of each, and even that can be discovered in a matter of seconds using the search function, which I already suggested.

I'm not bashing you, not at all. I'm saying that everyone in school already did the research on their own (or made a careless decision without doing so) and you seem to be asking for someone else to do all the legwork.

Find out the differences in the course between the two degrees on your own. the information is readily available. So are the differences in scopes of practice (again, search function, 10 seconds, "scope of practice" in the search bar)

If you asked for opinions at the beginning, my response would have been different. Pros and cons of each? Countless threads on the subject already exist.

I'm not bashing you, I'm saying I have no desire to respond to someone who has put forth minimal effort to utilize available materials to find the information, and wants other people to give you answers without you having to work for them.

Sorry, I stand by thinking that it's annoying.

Don't understand how I was "bashing" you. Simply encouraging you and your beliefs if you decide to go DO.

You don't need to use a search function or as for advice on a forum. If you like surgery, go shadow a pod. Find a doc with a good mix of clinic and OR time and decide if you like the diversity (in terms of pathologies you'll treat) that the pod practices vs. the fact that he/she (and you) will be limited to the foot and ankle.

I've never understood why people come to complete strangers on an anonymous forum for advice regarding major life decisions. You'll either like podiatry or you won't. And if you don't, go the DO route and be an orthopaedic surgeon.

Don't understand how I was "bashing" you. Simply encouraging you and your beliefs if you decide to go DO.

You don't need to use a search function or as for advice on a forum. If you like surgery, go shadow a pod. Find a doc with a good mix of clinic and OR time and decide if you like the diversity (in terms of pathologies you'll treat) that the pod practices vs. the fact that he/she (and you) will be limited to the foot and ankle.

I've never understood why people come to complete strangers on an anonymous forum for advice regarding major life decisions. You'll either like podiatry or you won't. And if you don't, go the DO route and be an orthopaedic surgeon.

Think he was talking to me, but regardless, your advice here is better than mind.

Shadowing > anonymous advice > flipping a coin.