DPT interviews help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dutchman12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I just received an email from my top program that I've been invited for an interview...Since this is my first go around with the process, what suggestions do any of you have for the interview? I'm guessing business casual is probably the best way to dress? (not too much, but respectable looking...)...

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I wanted to add that it's at the University of Iowa. So if anyone has interviewed there or heard from anyone who's interviewed there previously, some insight as to what to expect would be greatly appreciated!

I'm guessing business casual is probably the best way to dress? (not too much, but respectable looking...)...

There have been differing opinions on this, but I have to disagree. IMO, a suit should always be worn for an interview. If you don't already have one, consider it a good investment. You will need it for job interviews in a few years, and possibly for clinical interviews before that. I only attended one interview day for PT school, but the majority of us were in suits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with callmecrazy..just different opinions.

I've never owned a suit nor do I really know how to put one on properly. I would just wear khakis and a dress shirt with a tie. I rarely wear a tie, but I'll probably throw one on for a school interview. That's just me. I feel fake if I go through the whole suit ordeal. I have a strong personality and I let that shine during any interview. I don't need a suit to show that i'm "professional" or "classy"

I disagree with callmecrazy..just different opinions.

I've never owned a suit nor do I really know how to put one on properly. I would just wear khakis and a dress shirt with a tie. I rarely wear a tie, but I'll probably throw one on for a school interview. That's just me. I feel fake if I go through the whole suit ordeal. I have a strong personality and I let that shine during any interview. I don't need a suit to show that i'm "professional" or "classy"

You are free to dress how you please, but it is fact that wearing a suit for interviews is a widely accepted rule in the professional realm. School interviews are much more lenient in this regard though, and you will see others that choose not to wear them for various reasons. To be honest, I doubt it will make a difference either way whether you wear a suit or just a tie to an admissions interview. It is good practice for the "real world" though. Once you graduate, I wouldn't suggest showing up to a job interview without one; it's just expected in many cases. It means that you take yourself and the position seriously and that you took the time to consider what is considered standard for a job interview. In addition, some schools make it a requirement that you wear a suit when interviewing for clinical education placements; so you may not always have a choice.

i also agree. i HATE getting dressed up so it is def. not me. However, wearing a suit will not come across as "fake" but rather as respectful of the individual taking the time to interview you. while i don't think it will make or break you, taking the time to get dressed up shows them that you are taking the interview seriously and are appreciative (not that not wearing a suit doesn't show this-i just think you can't go wrong wearing one). better to be overdressed than under IMO.

It's just different opinions. I don't frown upon wearing a suit. It's just I've never worn one besides once at a wedding when I was 8. That was the last time to be completely honest. It won't make or break you. Just as long as you look and act professional.