DPT/PHD programs OR DPT then PHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dptorphd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into attending DPT school after undergrad. I want a career in PT, but I also would be very interested in teaching. This is where the title comes in:

Can I get input from people at PHD/DPT programs? Anyone do the DPT and then pursue PHD? has anyone done/ will do a PHD part time while practicing PT?

I think I would do the dual degree program if it wasn't for location. There isn't a DPT/PHD program very close to where I plan on living in the future (Milwaukee/Madison WI area.)

There is one at the University of Illinois-Chicago, but the PhD is in "Disability Studies." Would that allow me to teach DPT at a university in the future? It seems to be a program more focused on the role of disabled people in society, health, etc. rather than being more physiology/biomechanics focused. I could be wrong. Anyone know anything about the program?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking into attending DPT school after undergrad. I want a career in PT, but I also would be very interested in teaching. This is where the title comes in:

Can I get input from people at PHD/DPT programs? Anyone do the DPT and then pursue PHD? has anyone done/ will do a PHD part time while practicing PT?

I think I would do the dual degree program if it wasn't for location. There isn't a DPT/PHD program very close to where I plan on living in the future (Milwaukee/Madison WI area.)

There is one at the University of Illinois-Chicago, but the PhD is in "Disability Studies." Would that allow me to teach DPT at a university in the future? It seems to be a program more focused on the role of disabled people in society, health, etc. rather than being more physiology/biomechanics focused. I could be wrong. Anyone know anything about the program?

You should choose a PhD program that has a focus of interest for you. If Disability Studies isn't very interesting to you, then don't go into it.

And it's possible to do a PhD while working full time as a PT. One of the prerequisites to being accepted into the TWU PhD program is to work as a PT at the same time. The DPT/PhD fast track program at TWU requires you to work after you get your DPT while your working on your PhD.

You don't need a PhD to teach clinically based courses at various programs. However, job security is less stable than being on tenure track. I, personally, don't plan on teaching and performing solely research in my first couple of years as a PT. I want to build my clinical skills and judgment, and immerse myself more into the clinical and hands-on aspect of PT before I really get into teaching and research. I'm getting my PhD now because I know I won't be as motivated when I'm older and after 20+ years of school.That's not to say I won't be doing any research or teaching once I get my PhD.