DPT program prereq and GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cldud

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently graduated from college with Biology degree with 3.2 GPA. I haven't taken my GRE yet, but I'm planning to in the future. My question is if I have a chance to get into any DPT programs. I see lot of the school with average of 3.5 GPA. I feel like my GPA is relatively low compare to the average. I took pretty much all the prereq courses, but I took Anatomy&Physiology from a community college about 5 years ago. Also I have no experience with Physical Therapy. I know I should shadow a PT, but do i even have a chance?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Right now you do not have a good chance. However, you can do many things this summer to become a better applicant.

1.) Retake some prerequisite classes this summer and earn A's.
2.) Find observation hours. I recommend 3 different settings. 1 part time during the summer. 2 in the fall as full-time.
3.) Study the GRE at least 2-3 months ahead of time before the exam.

I got serious my senior year of college. And I took 1 gap year. And now I am a DPT student. If you need an in-depth approach, lmk. I will help you. I don't want to see you quitting because you think you don't have a chance compared to statistics out there. I will tell you this, though. You have to grind during the summer.

My undergrad GPA was about 2.9 and went up to about 3.1 after I took all pre-reqs (pre-reqs GPA was around 3.7). I got accepted in a school that did consider commutative GPA. So yes, you definitely have a chance just not in the schools whose average GPA acceptance rate is above 3.5. You also have a chance to succeed in PT school (my PT school GPA was around 3.7).
I agree with the post above regarding 2-3 different setting for observation hours and do study for GRE

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad GPA was about 2.9 and went up to about 3.1 after I took all pre-reqs (pre-reqs GPA was around 3.7). I got accepted in a school that did consider commutative GPA. So yes, you definitely have a chance just not in the schools whose average GPA acceptance rate is above 3.5. You also have a chance to succeed in PT school (my PT school GPA was around 3.7).
I agree with the post above regarding 2-3 different setting for observation hours and do study for GRE
Which program did not consider your cumulative GPA?

People seem to say that University of St. Augustine doesn't care about GPA too much? I don't know a lot about them, but that seems like it could be a good place to check!

IDK of anywhere that you can go without shadowing or volunteering hours though, I think just about every school requires at least some. It couldn't hurt to start asking some local clinics if you can come in to help!