Dreading going to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I study Veterinary Medicine

• Yes, you will learn to love it.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No, idiot..

Votes: 18 94.7%

• Total voters

confused7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me just start of by saying I never wanted to become a vet. I did however enjoy science in school, and I love my pets. But I really hated the work experience I had to go through. Firstly I couldn't stand how noisy the clinic was and all the vets I've meet seem to be pricks with huge egos. I don't want to become like that.

I don't even know why I applied, actually it was parental pressure that made me apply.
I don't have a bachelors degree as I'll be applying to the UK where veterinary medicine is studied at undergrad. I don't know if veterinary medicine is something I can learn to love. I have a history of self-sabotage and depression and I don't know if this is what is clouding my mind. I have taken 2 years out of school working ****ty jobs and I really want to start school again in autumn this year.

I have accepted my place at vet school with a heavy heart. I have always wanted a job that would allow me to travel the world. Something I know veterinarians don't do. Vet school is going to cost about USD250k in tuition alone. I cant even imagine what 250k looks like. I want to change my major and yet I'm too scared. I know if I become a vet, its a safe career and my grandparents and parents will be satisfied.

I keeping think of all the people who don't particularly like their jobs but make the most out of it and I think I can do that. But I feel like studying vet med would mean letting go of my dreams of travelling the world and becoming an adventurer.

Sorry for the bad English, I have no excuses, just bad English.

Members don't see this ad.

Vet school is hard enough even if you want to be there. I think anyone who didn't would have a really really hard time getting through. Do something else. Seriously.

Reactions: 7 users
Cannot agree with wildcatj more. I haven't started yet, but I've had many a friend go through vet school, so I have a somewhat decent idea of what I'll be getting into. If this is not something you're passionate about or even want to do, you're setting yourself up to fail. It's not worth your parents' approval to be miserable for 4 years (and beyond) and put yourself in that much debt. It's your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me just start of by saying I never wanted to become a vet. I did however enjoy science in school, and I love my pets. But I really hated the work experience I had to go through. Firstly I couldn't stand how noisy the clinic was and all the vets I've meet seem to be pricks with huge egos. I don't want to become like that.

I am sorry you had bad work experiences. I am even more sorry that the vets you met were not very pleasant, but not all vets are that way. Actually, the vast majority of them are not. However, if you did not enjoy the work experience you had, then I would suggest considering not doing vet med. You have to really enjoy the job and really enjoy what you are doing. There is no reason to do something for the rest of your life if you are not going to enjoy it.

I don't even know why I applied, actually it was parental pressure that made me apply.
I don't have a bachelors degree as I'll be applying to the UK where veterinary medicine is studied at undergrad. I don't know if veterinary medicine is something I can learn to love. I have a history of self-sabotage and depression and I don't know if this is what is clouding my mind. I have taken 2 years out of school working ****** jobs and I really want to start school again in autumn this year.

I know we all want to make our parents proud, however, this is your life. It is not their life and you can make them proud by doing something that you like and enjoy. Don't get pressured into going into a field that you do not really care for. Also, depression is high in the veterinary field, I would be sure that you have some help with that if you do decide to pursue vet med.

I have accepted my place at vet school with a heavy heart. I have always wanted a job that would allow me to travel the world. Something I know veterinarians don't do. Vet school is going to cost about USD250k in tuition alone. I cant even imagine what 250k looks like. I want to change my major and yet I'm too scared. I know if I become a vet, its a safe career and my grandparents and parents will be satisfied.

What makes you think a vet is a "safe" career? Safe as in you will always have a job? The veterinary job market is not the greatest currently and the debt:income ratio is very high. Paying loans is not going to be easy and graduates are having hard times finding jobs. Just things to keep in mind. Also, again, it is your life, not your grandparents' life. Your grandparents will also be satisfied if you are happy.

I keeping think of all the people who don't particularly like their jobs but make the most out of it and I think I can do that. But I feel like studying vet med would mean letting go of my dreams of travelling the world and becoming an adventurer.

Sorry for the bad English, I have no excuses, just bad English.

If you have a dream of travelling the world, then you should travel. Your life should be about what you want to do, not what other people want you to do. I get that many people do not like their job, but veterinary medicine is an expensive career to get into if you are not going to enjoy it.

I would suggest seriously considering what you are doing. Talk to your parents and grandparents about how you feel. Tell them that you do not want to spend your life hating your job. This is your life, do what makes you happy and if you are happy that should make your family happy as well.

I am sorry you had bad work experiences. I am even more sorry that the vets you met were not very pleasant, but not all vets are that way. Actually, the vast majority of them are not. However, if you did not enjoy the work experience you had, then I would suggest considering not doing vet med. You have to really enjoy the job and really enjoy what you are doing. There is no reason to do something for the rest of your life if you are not going to enjoy it.

I know we all want to make our parents proud, however, this is your life. It is not their life and you can make them proud by doing something that you like and enjoy. Don't get pressured into going into a field that you do not really care for. Also, depression is high in the veterinary field, I would be sure that you have some help with that if you do decide to pursue vet med.

What makes you think a vet is a "safe" career? Safe as in you will always have a job? The veterinary job market is not the greatest currently and the debt:income ratio is very high. Paying loans is not going to be easy and graduates are having hard times finding jobs. Just things to keep in mind. Also, again, it is your life, not your grandparents' life. Your grandparents will also be satisfied if you are happy.

If you have a dream of travelling the world, then you should travel. Your life should be about what you want to do, not what other people want you to do. I get that many people do not like their job, but veterinary medicine is an expensive career to get into if you are not going to enjoy it.

I would suggest seriously considering what you are doing. Talk to your parents and grandparents about how you feel. Tell them that you do not want to spend your life hating your job. This is your life, do what makes you happy and if you are happy that should make your family happy as well.

Thank you for your reply DVMDReam.

I think my real problem is that I just don't know what I want to do. I don't know what will make me happy. Don't get me wrong, I think being a vet is a real meaningful job. And maybe when i'm old and grey, i'll look back and be happy about my decision but right now I just don't know. I've been depressed for a long time and this is really impairing my judgment. but the only way to snap out of it is to do something and this will be a very costly something. I want so badly to like veterinary medicine but I just can't.

At the very least I would defer your position for a year to attempt to get your emotional state in order. Find a way to cope with the depression (I don't say that flippantly and I don't know what - if anything - you've tried already), not just for vet school but for life. There are students who go through vet school dealing with all sorts of things, from anxiety to depression, and it's doable. But as has been alluded to before, vet school is tough to stick with even when every ounce of your heart lies on that path. For someone to struggle through it without having any sort of reason to do so (other than parental pressure) is just...not a good idea.

Debt and job market are two big things to consider. Vet med is not a "safe" career right now; maybe explaining this to your family (paired with telling them you will not be pursuing vet med) will help ease any pressure they're putting on you. Go back to school to find something that interests you and pursue that. It's not worth hiking across the ocean, paying $250k+, failing out and/or being miserable, etc.

Vet school is hard enough even if you want to be there. I think anyone who didn't would have a really really hard time getting through. Do something else. Seriously.

Could not agree more ^. If there was any other career I would have been happy with, I would have pursued that over vet med.

At the very least I would defer your position for a year to attempt to get your emotional state in order. Find a way to cope with the depression (I don't say that flippantly and I don't know what - if anything - you've tried already), not just for vet school but for life. There are students who go through vet school dealing with all sorts of things, from anxiety to depression, and it's doable. But as has been alluded to before, vet school is tough to stick with even when every ounce of your heart lies on that path. For someone to struggle through it without having any sort of reason to do so (other than parental pressure) is just...not a good idea.

Debt and job market are two big things to consider. Vet med is not a "safe" career right now; maybe explaining this to your family (paired with telling them you will not be pursuing vet med) will help ease any pressure they're putting on you. Go back to school to find something that interests you and pursue that. It's not worth hiking across the ocean, paying $250k+, failing out and/or being miserable, etc.

Bolding this last paragraph because I think it's super important. Not only are you about to take on an education you don't seem interested in, you're moving to a whole new country which, while English speaking, lends itself to culture shock and an adjustment period. This period, depending on the person, can be super challenging. You're away from family, the time zone difference for talking to them can be awkward and you won't have some of those comforts of home. It's definitely doable but it's not without its challenges so I think its something you should really consider in your decision as well given your circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user
First, I would like to echo what everyone above has said. I'm going into my first year, but I have friends in vet school and friends who are vets and they've left me with no illusions... vet school is HARD and the burnout rate for vets is HIGH. Not wanting to be there can only make it harder. If it were me making the decision I would also be considering the other side of it. By that I mean the fact that getting in is crazy competitive, as we all know. There are probably a lot of people who would just about kill for your spot, and you're potentially taking up a spot you don't want. If it's just cold feet about moving so far away and everything else that goes along with this new adventure that's one thing, but if you truly don't want to be there consider opening your spot for someone who does.

One of the most important things about getting through vet school is being able to remind yourself why you are there in the first place. If your heart isn't in it, I worry that a few years into the degree you will want to quit and not have anything keeping you there, but still have the debt. There were many times throughout my five years where all I wanted to do was curl up and cry and I questioned my decision, and I absolutely loved my vet school and where I was. But my love for the profession kept pulling me back in. I agree with what other people have said about deferring. Take your time with your decision. There's no rush.

Vet med is really not a career you want to be in unless you can't imagine yourself doing anything else. Getting the degree is hard, staying sane in practice is hard (so I've heard), especially with your history of depression. You'll be in debt the rest of your life, and finding employment upon graduation is far from guaranteed. There is really no reason why anyone should go into this profession unless they're a) crazy, and b) super passionate about it. Maybe you should go back to school and get your bachelors degree? It will give you a chance to figure out what you want to do with your life that will make you happy and may open up some doors for you. Or just go into some field where you'll make lots of money even if you're totally unhappy so that you can afford to travel the world and make yourself happy. Either way, don't make you decisions based on what you think your parents want. If you do, I'm not entirely sure you are mature and independent enough to be going off to professional school in a foreign country. I don't say that to be mean, but unless your parents are paying your full tuition (and honestly, still even then), you have to take responsibility for your life and make your own decisions. You're mixing a lot of bad ingredients together and hoping it's going to magically turn out okay, but it won't.

It seems like you've pretty much made up your mind that you don't want to be a vet. However, if it's just the "I won't get to travel" mindset that's the big deal breaker for you than I suggest you check out Elliott Garber's website. He's a vet/blogger that goes all over the world and does some incredible veterinary work. Might be a bit of an eye-opener for you.
http://www.elliottgarber.com

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

I agree that deferring would be a good option. It's a bad idea to make major decisions like that when you think depression might be heavily influencing your decision-making.

Don't become a vet just to make your parents happy. You're the one who would have to deal with a career you disliked for the rest of your life, so do something that you love and find rewarding.

Maybe you can spend time in other types of veterinary settings - around research if you can, or large animal practice, or whatever. And try shadowing at multiple clinics if you haven't already - some clinics are really loud, others are quieter or at least set up better to keep the noise away from the vet's office, some vets are probably not the nicest (just like in any field) but many others are wonderful people. If you really dislike vet med, find another career path you're passionate about. If you can't find a job you love, at least choose something that pays better, has less debt, and has better hours, so that you can enjoy other things in your life more easily.

You can also travel as a vet to help out in areas that don't have veterinary services. Of course, you'd have to get time off from your regular job, but being a vet doesn't mean you can't travel.

Members don't see this ad :)
The wanting to travel is a small side effect here. The OP is clinically depressed by his own admission and likely needs therapy before he can fully embark on a career path.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your reply DVMDReam.

I think my real problem is that I just don't know what I want to do. I don't know what will make me happy. Don't get me wrong, I think being a vet is a real meaningful job. And maybe when i'm old and grey, i'll look back and be happy about my decision but right now I just don't know. I've been depressed for a long time and this is really impairing my judgment. but the only way to snap out of it is to do something and this will be a very costly something. I want so badly to like veterinary medicine but I just can't.

First off, you cannot "snap out" of depression. If you think you will be able to, you will be disappointed every time it does not work. Trust me. Take it from someone who has battled depression and anxiety her entire life. Getting out of the downward spiral of depression takes time.

A quick career change, a new beginning, whatever will maybe make you feel better for a little bit, but it does not address the underlying issue here. Taking a painkiller for a broken leg will make the leg feel better only until it wears off - the leg is still broken. Starting school will help, but as soon as the newness wears off those old feelings will begin creeping back in.

It sounds like you really need to make YOURSELF a priority. Not your job, not your career, not your parents - make your own sanity your priority right now. Talk to people. Consider counseling. Support groups, even online ones.

How old are you?

Reactions: 4 users
First off, you cannot "snap out" of depression. If you think you will be able to, you will be disappointed every time it does not work. Trust me. Take it from someone who has battled depression and anxiety her entire life. Getting out of the downward spiral of depression takes time.

A quick career change, a new beginning, whatever will maybe make you feel better for a little bit, but it does not address the underlying issue here. Taking a painkiller for a broken leg will make the leg feel better only until it wears off - the leg is still broken. Starting school will help, but as soon as the newness wears off those old feelings will begin creeping back in.

It sounds like you really need to make YOURSELF a priority. Not your job, not your career, not your parents - make your own sanity your priority right now. Talk to people. Consider counseling. Support groups, even online ones.

How old are you?

Hello WhtsThFrequency,
Thank you for your reply. I'll be 21 in autumn. I don't know if I'm just stopping myself from being happy. I took 2 years out of school and nothing has changed. My parents have said that once I enrol I will enjoy school. I don't want to wait another year, the tuition fees for one thing are increasing drastically and I don't want to waste another year working lousy jobs. I have to make a down payment by July. I'm so scared. I want to work outdoors, being out in nature is the only thing I can think of that truly makes me happy. I just hate the idea of being stuck in a noisy clinic all day. I wish I hadn't even applied for vet school, if I do decide to do something else, it will always be at the back of my mind..

It seems like you've pretty much made up your mind that you don't want to be a vet. However, if it's just the "I won't get to travel" mindset that's the big deal breaker for you than I suggest you check out Elliott Garber's website. He's a vet/blogger that goes all over the world and does some incredible veterinary work. Might be a bit of an eye-opener for you.

Thank you Cracker.Jack for the link, it definitely makes me feel much better if I'm stuck with this choice.

Hello WhtsThFrequency,
Thank you for your reply. I'll be 21 in autumn. I don't know if I'm just stopping myself from being happy. I took 2 years out of school and nothing has changed. My parents have said that once I enrol I will enjoy school. I don't want to wait another year, the tuition fees for one thing are increasing drastically and I don't want to waste another year working lousy jobs. I have to make a down payment by July. I'm so scared. I want to work outdoors, being out in nature is the only thing I can think of that truly makes me happy. I just hate the idea of being stuck in a noisy clinic all day. I wish I hadn't even applied for vet school, if I do decide to do something else, it will always be at the back of my mind..
Have you looked into large animal vet med? It sounds like you've spent most of your time in a small animal clinic (or maybe mixed animal, but still a clinic setting). Maybe that would be something you'd be interested in. Or wildlife medicine? (I know nothing about the wildlife vet job market, though.) I still think there are better financial options other than being a vet if you don't actually want to be a vet.

I don't think it's true that once you'll enroll you'll automatically enjoy school. Maybe you will, but it's also likely that you wouldn't like it if you don't want to be a vet. I haven't been to vet school yet, but I've heard a lot of people say that it's very challenging and not something they'd want to do if they didn't want to be a vet so badly.

How old are you?

I think WTF hit it on the head here.

You definitely don't want to try and battle vet school while fighting clinical depression. I tried as I was in denial and thought I could snap out of it and it wrecked everything to a very drastic point and I had to take a medical leave because of it.

If you feel like the world is grey and are unable to make yourself happy, please seek professional help. Take some time to solve your unhappiness, not just by switching up your surroundings. It's worth it in the end. :)

Hello WhtsThFrequency,

This is very flawed reasoning.

Please take the time to sort through your issues and go talk to someone--you'll be better off in the long run.

I think WTF hit it on the head here.

You definitely don't want to try and battle vet school while fighting clinical depression. I tried as I was in denial and thought I could snap out of it and it wrecked everything to a very drastic point and I had to take a medical leave because of it.

If you feel like the world is grey and are unable to make yourself happy, please seek professional help. Take some time to solve your unhappiness, not just by switching up your surroundings. It's worth it in the end. :)

Absolutely. I did the same and I almost dropped out in my third year.

OP, does your family understand or care that you are feeling so depressed? Do they not take you seriously or have you spoken to them at all about it? A good honest sit-down with them may help. Heck, they may be totally unaware that you are feeling this bad.

Do you know why you becoming a vet is so important to them? Maybe also talk to them about why they seem to want this so much for you, and whether you guys can think about another life direction that will make everyone happy. It's easy to say "Psh, stop caring what your folks think blah blah why do you care...." but I do realize that in certain cultures, familial expectations carry more weight than others. However, ultimately is is YOUR life and while their opinions may rightly carry weight, they cannot be the final decision. Please, please don't live your life for other people. You will always feel like you're failing, you will always feel like you are never good enough, because you will always be living up to their expectations of you and will never have time to work on your own expectations of yourself!

Reactions: 1 users
You are never stuck with a career choice and going to vet school because your parents want you to is the complete wrong decision. Going into any major or career because someone else wants you to is a bad idea and will never end well. Please take the time to really think about what you want... and you may not know at 21, but then instead of going into drastic amounts of debt for vet school.. take time off and get work experience in the real world to find out what you want to do with your life... don't just settle.. if you do that you will never be happy.

I can tell you for a fact that once you get to vet school you will not all of the sudden be happy. For a complete and utter fact. If anything your depression & stress will get worse. Vet school is ridiculously hard and many people in it absolutely hate it - fecking HATE it... but the reason they stick with it is they know the utter HELL of vet school will lead them to the career they want & love. You do not even want this career so going to school for a career you do not want, a school experience that will not be overly pleasant, not roses, is not a good idea. Especially going in depressed.

I am sure your parents think they have your best interests at heart and they truly think they are doing the right thing for you. But back away right now. Tell them how you feel. Take time off - either defer or reject altogether. Figure out your depression and perhaps work in at some other jobs to really find what you might enjoy doing as a career. And if you want to travel there are many career options out there. Do not let others rule your life decisions - as in the end they are not the ones living it.

I love his blog! On another note, I know that he actually has an account on here. Maybe he'll chime in ;).

OP: I'm sorry to hear that you've had some bad experiences! Have you maybe considered shadowing a different vet in a different field? Small animal medicine doesn't really get my pulse racing but I've found that I really enjoy research and large animal medicine (along with conservation medicine). There are so many different facets to the field that you might find something that you really enjoy.

The wanting to travel is a small side effect here. The OP is clinically depressed by his own admission and likely needs therapy before he can fully embark on a career path.

What, we're not allowed to one point in a post? Geez, WTF.

Everyone else pretty much hit the 'big point'. Figured it was worth noting that vets do have travel opportunity. Other pre-vets read the thread than just the OP!

Everyone else pretty much hit the 'big point'. Figured it was worth noting that vets do have travel opportunity. Other pre-vets read the thread than just the OP!

grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png

I want to thank everyone for their replies. WTF if I had met a vet like you, I would have probably had a more positive experience. Although most of you are advising me against vet school, i am feeling more optimistic. I think i was focusing too much on the monetary aspects of vet school. I would definitely want to go into wildlife if I were to go down this path.

Please share more on the travel opportunities. And I don't just mean the drive from the clinic to the farm.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. WTF if I had met a vet like you, I would have probably had a more positive experience. Although most of you are advising me against vet school, i am feeling more optimistic. I think i was focusing too much on the monetary aspects of vet school. I would definitely want to go into wildlife if I were to go down this path.

People aren't advising you against it. People are advising you to take time with YOUR decision. Make it your own, not your parents'. And don't ignore what what current vet students/vets are saying about actually being in school and dealing with depression. It is a very real and serious thing. Vet med is by no means "safe", both in employment terms and physically/mentally.

Let me just say, it's funny that I am writing this, because you and me are in exactly opposite situations! I just spent a perfectly stressful, miserable year in medical school because that's what I thought my parents wanted (they are both physicians). I have wanted to study veterinary medicine for a while now, but I didn't have the courage to tell my parents that until after almost four months of studying in a place where I never wanted to be. Don't make the same mistake I did. Only do what your soul tells you. No money, no acclaim, nothing can take the place of happiness with the path that you have chosen. I am so excited to be applying to veterinary school this year and cannot wait to start. Good luck to everybody!

Let me just say, it's funny that I am writing this, because you and me are in exactly opposite situations! I just spent a perfectly stressful, miserable year in medical school because that's what I thought my parents wanted (they are both physicians). I have wanted to study veterinary medicine for a while now, but I didn't have the courage to tell my parents that until after almost four months of studying in a place where I never wanted to be. Don't make the same mistake I did. Only do what your soul tells you. No money, no acclaim, nothing can take the place of happiness with the path that you have chosen. I am so excited to be applying to veterinary school this year and cannot wait to start. Good luck to everybody!

Hi QuirkyDoc,

I'm glad that you are finally doing what you want to do.

If I was certain I knew what I wanted to become, I wouldn't be in this dilemma right now . I don't know what will make me happy. I've been unhappy for a really, really long time. Also I feel incredible stupid for giving up a place in vet school. These opportunities are so hard to come by and I feel so fortunate to be given one, but I just cant make myself be happy. I love animals, i'm good at biology, so why cant I just be happy.