drexel IMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
who is applying to Drexel IMS for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Not trying to be dumb, but what does IMS stand for?

Interdepartmental Medical Sciences program.

Basically, you take the first year curriculum at Drexel Med (with a few minor changes)... this is different from the Georgetown SMP by a significant account. I was all "gung-ho-apply-to-med-school-this-year-because-I-can-always-do-the-IMS-and-really-knock-their-socks-the-second time". but then a great friend of mine at Drexel Med (1st year) offered a little info. There are two campuses associated with Drexel Med. One is in East Falls, very close to the awesome town of Manyunk. The other is a center city location down at 15th and Race. While the medical students all take classes and have their resources (ie, library, computer labs) in east falls, the IMS students watch the lectures on a big TV at the center city location. And the part that really threw me back was that they have no library privaledges or computing lab privaledges. I was completely baffled by this.

The SMP at Georgetown advertises the fact that the SMP students take classes and exams with the medical students in the same room, at the same time. So, thats something to think about if you were thinking IMS...

Although to toot the IMS' horn, my dear drexel friend did note that of the IMS students that are accepted to drexel as medical students, almost all of them honor almost every thing (both years, not just the first...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. Is this the Drexel post-bacc program, then? I talked to some of those folks when I was in Philly, and they described what you're talking about (e.g., watching the Queen Lane lectures live by remote TV at the Center City campus).

The students I talked to seemed to like their program. They'd just finished an exam and were discussing it. Seemed like good stuff at an admittedly superficial glance.

it definately could be! I'm still considering the program. The only reason I posted was because at first it kinda seems like the georgetown SMP but for that one reason the two are quite different.

Drexel has a lot of programs and I think most of them use the center city campus. Thats not specifically bad, just interesting to note its not at the medical school.