Drexel vs. Albany Med...Decision needed ASAP (July 5th!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andy333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick note...I double posted this in the Med student forum also...wasn't sure which one would get more views and since the deadline is in 2 days and I'd like as many opinions as possible, I placed it here also.

----------------------------

I was hoping I could get some feedback about deciding between Albany and Drexel med schools...A friend of mine just found out late last week (June 27th) that they got off the wait-list at Drexel and have until July 5th to decide between there at Albany Medical College. She doesn't have access to this site before then, so I'm trying to help out. Like any school, these two both have their good and bad points. I was hoping either current students or people familiar with the schools could weigh in with their honest opinions. Thanks in advance.

From what I've heard/read, Drexel's good include: Near Philly, Very technologically advanced (wireless campus, recorded lectures available via download), most students seem happy. It's bad includes: Very large class size (215+), hospital is 25-30 min from med school, med school is near areas that don't sound too safe, 3rd year rotation locations decided by lottery, associated hospitals were in financial trouble a few years ago, some students during interview stated that reason they went to drexel was bc 'they didnt get in anywhere else'. It's unknown includes: Symptom based 1st year curriculum, year-long anatomy course.

Albany's good includes: Smaller class size (around 130), students seem happy, med school and hospital are in same area. Bad includes: Not much going on in Albany(?), Very cold weather, Not as much technology as Drexel. It's unknown includes: Lectures last the entire day, grading is against your peers, not a straight curve (sounds very competitive).

There's obviously a lot more for both schools, but those are a few things. If somebody knows anything about these schools, there curriculums, etc., it'd be great to hear, also if anyone knows whether either school matches better than the other, that'd be nice to know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say go with Drexel but I'm biased because I'm on the waitlist at Albany :D

bwells46 said:
I'd say go with Drexel but I'm biased because I'm on the waitlist at Albany :D

:) I could definitely understand you saying Drexel then!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I was faced with a similar decision, and declined an interview at Drexel since I got into Albany, pretty much for the reasons you've indicated: I really liked the centralized campus, the smaller class size, and the students seemed happy. I guess I am not looking forward to the 5-interval grading system, but if everyone's happy, what's the difference? I'm also from Boston, so cold doesn't bother me, and I'm not exactly a socialite, so I'm not worried about having nothing to do (which, btw, doesn't seem to be the case judging from the info packet I just received from AMC).

Since I didn't visit Drexel, I can't speak from firsthand knowledge, but the fact that it's not close to its hospitals, and the larger class size were dealbreakers for me.

Match lists should be available on their websites (it definitely is on AMC's), but remember to take them with a grain of salt, because they have more to do with individuals than the schools themselves.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your friend's decision and maybe I'll see her Aug. 24th!

AnotherDork said:
Hi,

I was faced with a similar decision, and declined an interview at Drexel since I got into Albany, pretty much for the reasons you've indicated: I really liked the centralized campus, the smaller class size, and the students seemed happy. I guess I am not looking forward to the 5-interval grading system, but if everyone's happy, what's the difference? I'm also from Boston, so cold doesn't bother me, and I'm not exactly a socialite, so I'm not worried about having nothing to do (which, btw, doesn't seem to be the case judging from the info packet I just received from AMC).

Since I didn't visit Drexel, I can't speak from firsthand knowledge, but the fact that it's not close to its hospitals, and the larger class size were dealbreakers for me.

Match lists should be available on their websites (it definitely is on AMC's), but remember to take them with a grain of salt, because they have more to do with individuals than the schools themselves.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your friend's decision and maybe I'll see her Aug. 24th!

In re: with match lists........look at the sticky on the top of preallo page and you'll find the info you are looking for.

In re: to school........I'd probably go with Albany, but I'm biased because I would choose NY before Pa as a place to live. Go with your gut.

Albany... no doubt.

I would certainly choose Drexel if I were her. It has a great tradition and is commited to helping the less fortunate. It also prepares compassionate physician healers, who is keen in BOTH the ART and Science of healing. The IFM curriculum is excellent; it integrates basic science and clinical practice, and is very innovative. I am on the wait list at Drexel, and hope to get accepted as early as possible to make my plans for the remaining summer holidays.

Congratulations to your friend. She is going to be a doctor. Best wishes to her.

Paing said:
I would certainly choose Drexel if I were her. It has a great tradition and is commited to helping the less fortunate. It also prepares compassionate physician healers, who is keen in BOTH the ART and Science of healing. The IFM curriculum is excellent; it integrates basic science and clinical practice, and is very innovative. I am on the wait list at Drexel, and hope to get accepted as early as possible to make my plans for the remaining summer holidays.

Congratulations to your friend. She is going to be a doctor. Best wishes to her.

I just wanted to write a few things that haven't been mentioned yet, in case the OP's friend finds this useful in making a decision...

Drexel also offers a different curriculum track for the pre-clinical years, PIL, that may be more attractive to your friend if she likes to take a more interactive approach to learning. I think that program takes about 50-60 students per class.

IMHO, I was not deeply impressed by the high-technology campus that Drexel boasts when I visited and also during the other times I have interacted with the school. This is not to say that I don't admire the level of technological integration that the medical campus has achieved. It's great that all IFM lectures are available for students to download to their PC's and that wireless is available anywhere on campus. It's a huge convenience. I guess I've just seen a wireless network implemented at a university on a much larger scale than the Drexel medical campus. (I know that Drexel University as an institution publicly places an emphasis on technology, but know nothing of how the main campus has implemented its position on technology.) Perhaps ironically, Drexel was the only school that sent me a secondary via snail mail.

Andy333 said:
Thanks for those links, very helpful. Don't know how i missed them before when i was searching!

Your welcome. :)

So which school did she finally decide on?