Drop with a W or not? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ojy77511

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I am applying upcoming cycle and this is the last year at school. I have MCAT upcoming in April. I enrolled in this very time consuming and difficult lab class. I have volunteering, lab, and other things going on that I cant quit. I feel like the lab class is going to take a bite out of me if I were to go for an A or A-. Should I drop with a W and focus on my MCAT? Would a W not look too bad if I do well on MCAT and other classes that I do not drop?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what the rest of your transcript looks like, but if this would be your only W or you only have 1 or 2 others, it shouldn't be an issue. Stuff happens and W's only look strange if there is a pattern of them. But, I wouldn't take the W unless you really feel like you're going to get a C or lower by choosing to focus on the MCAT. My 0.02.

I feel like i will end up with a B which would drop my gpa from 3.7 to 3.68ish. And I can graduate with other bio degree even if I dont take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This lab takes at least 20 hrs a week average from my time + stress

I have only 1 W from my freshman year and have been keeping up 3.8+ for past two years. Other classes I can get As (i got 2 more classes)

I personally would take a B over a W, but if the class is taking 20 hours a week that you really don't have, then the W will not be a big deal. It's hard to say because 3.68 is slightly low. Not horrible or anything, just slightly low. I don't think either path will significantly damage you, so I would choose whatever you feel is best.