Dropped from residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooo.... I need advice. Contract to continue to my 2nd year is not being given to me, I've been dropped from my residency. Honestly, I feel a bit lost and not sure where to go from here. I never enjoyed being a physician, so the idea of doing residency again sounds horrible to me. But I worked extremely hard to get here and feel like all will be lost if I quit now. Anyone know of options I have?
I honestly feel medicine isn't for me. I've never stressed about school, my prior jobs, etc, but I was clinically depressed. Advice please!

Members don't see this ad.

Debt: a Staggering 300k. Currently on pay as you earn. Currently have 50k.

Does anyone know if loan forgiveness works of if you change jobs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd really try to find another residency program. Are you able to overcome the reasons you are not being renewed?

Once you finish you don't have to see patients, there are other avenues of employment for boarded physicians.

The debt is a burden but you have options:
1. Look for a job with big pharma
2. Law school-- patent or health care lawyer (not malpractice law)
3. MPH and go into health care admin

See a doc to address and assess the depression.
Keep your wits about you, take a deep breath. You will land on your feet!!!

I honestly hate medicine and my initial plan was to finish and do something completely different. Its really hard to work this hard for something I don't want.
If I could get a job with a park company, or even health care admin, I think I would enjoy it much more...

Treat your depression, find some loved ones (like parents maybe?) where they can take you in and help you out for the time being. Pay As You Earn, that's based on your income right? Like 10% of your income? Isn't it set up so that if you make 120 consecutive payments, any remaining debt will be forgiven? Best of luck to you, just keep breathing and take your time

Yup, it will be forgiven after X amount of years. But I'm not sure if I need to work as a physician or if they can take 10% of me making 50-90k/yr.

By the way, I really appreciate all the replies, and for anyone who had more input, I greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

You don't need to "work as a physician"... I had a friend that didn't match into residency for a few years and worked at a non profit org for a few years ... He made $70-80k a year and paid 20%... The two years he worked there counted towards his ten total years. He got residency this year... Residency counts towards those ten years as well...

Basically many non profit orgs or different hospital positions may actually fall under "loan forgiveness".. Need to look up any potential jobs or positions you may consider... Regardless of the salary it still counts.

Sooo.... I need advice. Contract to continue to my 2nd year is not being given to me, I've been dropped from my residency. Honestly, I feel a bit lost and not sure where to go from here. I never enjoyed being a physician, so the idea of doing residency again sounds horrible to me. But I worked extremely hard to get here and feel like all will be lost if I quit now. Anyone know of options I have?
I honestly feel medicine isn't for me. I've never stressed about school, my prior jobs, etc, but I was clinically depressed. Advice please!

Why did you get dropped? You mention you worked extremely hard, so I am not sure where went wrong. Obviously depression need to be dealt with but more/better advice can be provided with more information.

Why did you get dropped? You mention you worked extremely hard, so I am not sure where went wrong. Obviously depression need to be dealt with but more/better advice can be provided with more information.

Well, I do think my knowledge is lacking a bit, but I feel up to par with the other interns (scored above average of what the intern class scored in my residency on the mock practicals we take during intern year). I do have difficulty applying those concepts at times.
Another reason, which ties in with my application problem, is that I was a horrible medical student, not that I got bad grades, but I was a good test taker. I don't think I studied more than 1 day for any exam, nor did I go to class unless it was mandatory (labs mainly). So I practically crammed for every test, them I would just dump the knowledge when the next test came. Even for my boards, when doing UWorld, i was getting about 25% initially (close to guessing average), so i crammed for 3-4 weeks and ended up passing (similar sorry for step 1 and 2). Then during my 3rd and 4th year, I basically choose the easiest rotations I could find, further making me a worse medical student. For example, my medicine month consisted of me going to nursing homes, about 2-3x/wk, for 1-3hrs at a time. My family practice rotation was from 9-12 M-Thurs. Surgery was opthomology. I did have some tough months, but it was pretty limited to cardio and gen surg months. That's about it.
So basically, I started intern year with the knowledge of a beginning third year. I feel I've caught up in knowledge with my peers during intern year, but the change in me occurred too late (all faculty chooses whether your ready or not for 2nd year, my most recent ones said I was ready, and the ones I rotated with early didn't think I was ready. Most votes went towards me not being ready).
Although I hate the situation I'm in, I feel responsible for digging myself in this hole...

Well, I do think my knowledge is lacking a bit, but I feel up to par with the other interns (scored above average of what the intern class scored in my residency). I do have difficulty applying those concepts at times.
Another reason, which ties in with my application problem, is that I was a horrible medical student, not that I got bad grades, but I was a good test taker. I don't think I studied more than 1 day for any exam, not did I go to class unless it was mandatory (labs mainly). So I practically crammed for every test, them I would just dump the knowledge when the next test came. Even for my boards, when doing UWorld, i was getting about 25% initially, so i crammed for 3-4 weeks and ended up passing (similar sorry for step 1 and 2). Then during my 3rd and 4th year, I basically choose the easiest rotations I could find, further making me a worse medical student. For example, my medicine month consisted of me going to nursing homes, about 2-3x/wk, for 1-3hrs at a time. My family practice rotation was from 9-12 M-Thurs. Surgery was opthomology. I did have some tough months, but it was pretty limited to cardio and surgery months. That's about it.
So basically, I started intern year with the knowledge of a beginning third year. I feel I've caught up in knowledge with my peers during intern year, but the change in me occurred too late (all faculty chooses whether your ready or not for 2nd year, my most recent ones said I was ready, and the ones I rotated with early didn't think I was ready. Votes went towards me not being ready).
Although I hate the situation I'm in, I feel responsible for digging myself in this hole...

If you aren't ready then you get kicked out instead of doing remediation?? That is harsh...

Have you tried explaining it to the ppl in charge that you had difficulty w applying the concepts and that you improved significantly? If you are near the rest of class by end of first year.. I don't see why they'd kick you out.

If you aren't ready then you get kicked out instead of doing remediation?? That is harsh...

Have you tried explaining it to the ppl in charge that you had difficulty w applying the concepts and that you improved significantly? If you are near the rest of class by end of first year.. I don't see why they'd kick you out.

Remediation? I didn't even know that was a thing... Lol.
I did explain the situation to the program director, so he set me up with meetings with my advisor to come up with clinical scenarios and what I would do. Sounds great, but it was horrible. I love most of the faculty in my program, but my advisor was a total &%&+. Lol. All she ever tried to do was trick me. For example, she would give me an MI/COPD patient. She asked what I would order, so I got all the labs needed, including trops. She would tell me they're all normal, so I focused on the COPD. Then when I told her I would monitor the patient seeing how he's stable, she tells me he codes and dies. When I ask why, she says, 'well, you ordered trops, but you didn't say you wanted follow up trops, you have to make sure you focus on things that will kill the patient.' But who orders trops 1 at a time? I explained to her that I always order trops as a set, but she wouldn't hear it. And basically we did that a few times, doing well sometimes, other times being tricked and killing patients. And she also gave the input I wasn't ready.

Remediation? I didn't even know that was a thing... Lol.
I did explain the situation to the program director, so he set me up with meetings with my advisor to come up with clinical scenarios and what I would do. Sounds great, but it was horrible. I love most of the faculty in my program, but my advisor was a total &%&+. Lol. All she ever tried to do was trick me. For example, she would give me an MI/COPD patient. She asked what I would order, so I got all the labs needed, including trops. She would tell me they're all normal, so I focused on the COPD. Then when I told her I would monitor the patient seeing how he's stable, she tells me he codes and dies. When I ask why, she says, 'well, you ordered trops, but you didn't say you wanted follow up trops, you have to make sure you focus on things that will kill the patient.' But who orders trops 1 at a time? I explained to her that I always order trops as a set, but she wouldn't hear it. And basically we did that a few times, doing well sometimes, other times being tricked and killing patients. And she also gave the input I wasn't ready.

Wow... I hope no one goes to that program of yours. It sounds like no one was trying to support you

Think about what you just said (typed)....

Me?

There are (well we're until early this year) two programs bearing the UTSW badge. One in Dallas, and one in Austin.

I interviewed with the place in Austin. It was UTSW when I interviewed and is now the UT-Austin program as of a few months ago.

Hey man...your previous posts suggest you were really interested in PM&R. What led you to go to FM instead?