Dropping a spring semester course? (Illinois)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lunazzurra

Illinois c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I registered for an online Statistics course, which is NOT a pre-req for Illinois (the only school I applied - have an interview). I basically registered for it so that, if I don't get in to Illinois, I will have more options for the next application cycle. I did enter the Statistics course into VMCAS as a "planned" course. Now, however, I find that I am hating the format and disorganization of the online class, and I really want to drop it. Also, I work 40 hours during the week, 15 on the weekends, am taking 6 other credit hours, and trying to plan a May wedding. So, ridding myself of this inessential course would be a relief, for sure.

I have all my other pre-reqs in order, but I am worried that dropping this class will somehow reflect badly on my application (even though by the time my grade is in, an admissions decision would be made one way or the other). I tried contacting the school about it three times now (by e-mail and phone), but haven't gotten an answer. The deadline to drop is Saturday.

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks for your input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with Twelvetigers...Drop the sucka!

Members don't see this ad :)
It might affect you during the next round if you don't get in this year though. You will have to explain why you dropped it, and not sure a wedding would be a good reason. Work + course load could go either way. Somehow doubt format would work, since you may be exposed to formats of class that you don't like in vet school as well.

You should contact Illinois, because the acceptance may be contigent on passing all courses with a grade of __.

Thanks for all your advice. I dropped the course.

As a follow-up, I did finally receive an answer from the Admissions Office this morning: "We have no investment in you completing a statistics class...this would be for your own enrichment only."