Dropping classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiseki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's getting really close to the end of the quarter and tomorrow's the last day for me to drop a class before finals >.< and I'm really stressing out because I don't think it's possible for me to do any better than a C+...and it's very likely that I might do worse. I was just wondering if opt. schools really ask about withdrawal notations on transcripts and...in that case, what would make for an acceptable answer? It's not for a prereq course, but it's a cell bio class. it's not required for my major either, because it's an elective, so if I do drop, should i attempt to take it again (would that look better)? thanks in advance for any advice. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

kiseki said:
It's getting really close to the end of the quarter and tomorrow's the last day for me to drop a class before finals >.< and I'm really stressing out because I don't think it's possible for me to do any better than a C+...and it's very likely that I might do worse. I was just wondering if opt. schools really ask about withdrawal notations on transcripts and...in that case, what would make for an acceptable answer? It's not for a prereq course, but it's a cell bio class. it's not required for my major either, because it's an elective, so if I do drop, should i attempt to take it again (would that look better)? thanks in advance for any advice. :scared:

I wouldn't worry about it if its not a pre-req..ive dropped some classes and had a "W" on my transcript and no opt schools even questioned me about it..i still got accepted with at least 2 "W"'s they didn't even ask about and about 3 C's on my transcript, 1 being in a pre-req...

You could ask the professor to just audit the class instead - you get no mark, just a record on your transcript that you have attended the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leroy said:
You could ask the professor to just audit the class instead - you get no mark, just a record on your transcript that you have attended the class.

Leroy's suggestion is good. If it's not an option, however, let me tell you my story (again, because I enjoy telling stories)...

I received a C+ in an organic chem course, two straight C's in electives (one of those electives was biochem), and an F in another organic chem course (I had to take that one over and I got a B in its stead). At my interviews, the only school that asked me anything regarding those grades was ICO -- and they only asked about that F. I did have a good reason for it -- extenuating circumstances, which I won't go into -- but, as I said, they only asked about the F. Most schools will ask you to explain any failing grades on the application itself, I believe. The C's, however, were not as big a problem as I had thought. Just make sure your other pre-req courses are very good and you should be fine.

So you know, I got into the three schools I interviewed at (ICO, SCO, and UCBSO), and received offers for interviews to all the schools I applied to (the first three plus Pacific and SCCO). So it IS possible to get interviews and acceptances even with those marks on your record. Just prove that they were flukes :) Good luck!!

I can't remember for sure, but I recall getting a C in Cell Biology too. Don't worry about it.

kiseki said:
I dont think you can drop that class anymore if u didnt drop during the 7th week. At least that was the policy in my school. Try to inquire about it. if you can drop it, just drop it. W wont hurt you but a D or an F will hurt u
Good luck

I dropped a physics class in college. It was the only class I dropped, and I never heard a word about it in my interviews at SCO and UAB.