Dropping major concentration before starting med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kyler Mwwrray

Reaction score
I am planning on dropping my
Biochem concentration before I start med school in the fall. I am pursing a degree in chemistry and have already completed my med school pre reqs. The only thing that will change is I won’t have a concentration listed on my degree but will still graduate with a BS in chemistry. I’ve been accepted to a med school so far but was wondering if this would affect my acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on dropping my
Biochem concentration before I start med school in the fall. I am pursing a degree in chemistry and have already completed my med school pre reqs. The only thing that will change is I won’t have a concentration listed on my degree but will still graduate with a BS in chemistry. I’ve been accepted to a med school so far but was wondering if this would affect my acceptance?
I would inform them of the change if necessary, ie if you mentioned anywhere on the application that you will be graduating specifically with an official biochemistry concentration. In my experience, medical schools want to make sure everything matches up, degree-wise, with the applications once students are accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would inform them of the change if necessary, ie if you mentioned anywhere on the application that you will be graduating specifically with an official biochemistry concentration. In my experience, medical schools want to make sure everything matches up, degree-wise, with the applications once students are accepted.
The only place I can think that it’s mentioned is on the transcript on AMCAS. I also will not be taking cell and molec which I listed as a future course on AMCAS and other secondaries, I replaced it with PCHEM II. Is this something I should bring up as well?

The only place I can think that it’s mentioned is on the transcript on AMCAS. I also will not be taking cell and molec which I listed as a future course on AMCAS and other secondaries, I replaced it with PCHEM II. Is this something I should bring up as well?
As long as you will meet all the prerequisites it will be fine and doesn’t need to be reported. I just don’t know if pchemii replaces cellular and molecular

As long as you will meet all the prerequisites it will be fine and doesn’t need to be reported. I just don’t know if pchemii replaces cellular and molecular
As far as I know it’s not a prerequisite. I’ve already done around like 24 credit hours of bio courses. I’m just worried schools will see that I didn’t take the courses I listed as planned to take.

As far as I know it’s not a prerequisite. I’ve already done around like 24 credit hours of bio courses. I’m just worried schools will see that I didn’t take the courses I listed as planned to take.
I really don’t envision it causing any issues but I also don’t want to guide you down a path that would cause any issues later on before matriculation. I think the safest thing is just to send the school a quick update/email telling them that you switched from cell molecular to pchem