Dropping Masters Program After Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yasuo23

Reaction score
I started my masters program (1 year SMP) with the assumption this cycle wouldn’t go great for me and so far I am incredibly grateful that the opposite is true. I do not hold any acceptances currently but the “whole interview at 3, a doctor you’ll be” makes me hopeful.

If I am to gain an acceptance before December, can I withdraw from my masters program? For me, this would be due to financial reasons (loans, work, father is retiring and I still live at home, etc) Or would I need to contact the school before doing so?

Second questions is, my absolute dream school interviewed me and told me I am very likely to be deferred to later in the cycle due to my low undergrad grades. If this does happen, and I do decide to drop the masters program after my first semester because of an acceptance, (which I was told to send transcripts after my first semester to see how I was doing) would this negatively impact me? Or would the one semester be enough to drive home the fact I’d be good in med school? This school would release decisions in March anyways, before my spring grades would even be available.

Sorry if this wasn’t clear but thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You are expected to finish any in progress program afaik.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I did a 1 year SMP, and was accepted to two MD schools during October of the 1st semester. Both schools required me to finish the entire program.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at 3 schools last cycle. WL’d and subsequently rejected. I’m hoping for A’s for you, but pls finish the program. Anything can happen unfortunately

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed at 3 schools last cycle. WL’d and subsequently rejected. I’m hoping for A’s for you, but pls finish the program. Anything can happen unfortunately
No carts before horses. Or crossing bridges before getting to them. When you get an offer, ask.
Definitely wont be doing anything without at least one acceptance and without directly asking individual schools.

Thank you guys!

Reactions: 1 users