Dropping the semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay061995

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just transferred to the University of Florida with my AA and I've started out horribly and I've already dropped one class and am considering dropping the entire semester. I know that I have to apply within this next year but I'm feeling so down about it now because I feel like I have no chance at optometry school. What should I do to better my chances? Some of suggested me to take a year off after graduation, that way my GPA would factor in all 4 semesters into my application the following year.

Any help would appreciated, thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You are in your junior year, first year as a transfer?

I think schools like seeing upward trends so if you can get yourself to do better next semester it may be worth it. Bad grades the first semester may be accounted for towards adjusting to new environment, difficulty of classes, etc.

Yeah junior year, first year transfer.

Ok because as of now I'm for sure dropping one of my courses and best case scenario I'm looking at an A in one of my labs and a C and C+ in my other 2 courses. Still think I should just let it play out or drop the semester?

Thanks for the help

It would help if you have already taken some science pre-reqs and gotten good grades in them.

Personally I think that's fine as long as you pull your grades up next semester. You can explain unforseen circumstances in your personal statement if you had any.

Last edited: