Drug induced sleep endoscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMcCoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Coming to my shop for ENT that wants to do inspire. New to me and sounds risky. Anybody doing these?

Concerns, or no big deal?

Members don't see this ad.

I do a ton of these at a surgery center, very routine and takes 5 minutes. Just a little propofol to get them snoring and then take look with the scope and are done.

Reactions: 2 users
No big deal. Turn on propofol, turn it up every minute until the patient is snoring, they stick the scope in the nose for a few minutes, case over. Easier and less stimulation than an egd.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One wrinkle: our surgeon used to want them done on room air. I think it was part of grading how bad their OSA was.

Reactions: 1 user
One wrinkle: our surgeon used to want them done on room air. I think it was part of grading how bad their OSA was.
This was the concerning part to me. Only had one guy in our group do the first batch, maybe he was being dramatic about all the plunging desats. On the plus side, I’m told there is a BMI cutoff of like 33?

Easy procedure and literally takes 5 minutes. When we also first started to place Inspire it took ENT about 3 hours, now he takes half that or faster.

This was the concerning part to me. Only had one guy in our group do the first batch, maybe he was being dramatic about all the plunging desats. On the plus side, I’m told there is a BMI cutoff of like 33?
I never found it to be too big a deal. You can see what is happening as they obstruct so you can anticipate desaturation and obviously the surgeon needs to not be a dick about you providing airway maneuvers while they do their exam.

I haven’t done these either. Do they topicalize the nasal airway ? Seems like it would be less stressful than egd. Less risk of laryngospasm too.the obese egd are my least favorite cases.

I’ve done many of them. Our surgeon wanted them to get glyco preop and the do propofol gtt (no bolus) at escalating doses requested by the surgeon. Importantly they wanted no other drugs (as to not confound the study). Overall it’s an easy case with low risk. I never had any issues, but then the surgeon doing them was also one of the best I’ve ever worked with.

Reactions: 1 users
Do they ever do sleep endoscopy after the Inspire has been inserted with the Inspire device activated to see if it actually works?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Per the protocol they have for us here, no.
Protocol is no supplemental O2. Which is fine, you just expect a little desat and can mask if needed after scope is out.

The more annoying part is CMS now allows the sleep endoscopy and the Inspire insertion to be done the same OR visit (clearly very high pre-test probability), so now you get to induce a pt that has been the exact opposite of pre-oxygenated.

Protocol is no supplemental O2. Which is fine, you just expect a little desat and can mask if needed after scope is out.

The more annoying part is CMS now allows the sleep endoscopy and the Inspire insertion to be done the same OR visit (clearly very high pre-test probability), so now you get to induce a pt that has been the exact opposite of pre-oxygenated.

I'm curious does supplemental oxygen change the airway collapse?

These patients are CPAP intolerant, so by leaving them on room air and inducing sleep you are trying to mimic exactly what happened each night when they fall asleep. They obstruct and desaturate. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be there. The cases are quick and easy, but not intervening when their sats are dropping is annoying. Still, these are some of the quickest and easiest cases you can get.

These patients are CPAP intolerant, so by leaving them on room air and inducing sleep you are trying to mimic exactly what happened each night when they fall asleep. They obstruct and desaturate. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be there. The cases are quick and easy, but not intervening when their sats are dropping is annoying. Still, these are some of the quickest and easiest cases you can get.
They’ve already presumably had a sleep study, no? So if you know they desat why no 02 if all you should be evaluating is airway collapse?

I haven’t done these either. Do they topicalize the nasal airway ? Seems like it would be less stressful than egd. Less risk of laryngospasm too.the obese egd are my least favorite cases.
Negligible risk of laryngospasm. They are not manipulating the airway.

They’ve already presumably had a sleep study, no? So if you know they desat why no 02 if all you should be evaluating is airway collapse?
I've been told they don't want any flow distorting the anatomy

You are 100% correct. I sat through a talk on this a couple of weeks ago and the ENT was quick to admit that it's the wild west with these. Every center going with their own "protocol." You don't need to withhold oxygen (that's what the sleep study is for). This should only be to evaluate dynamic collapse in a person who has already been confirmed to have OSA.

Reactions: 4 users
You are 100% correct. I sat through a talk on this a couple of weeks ago and the ENT was quick to admit that it's the wild west with these. Every center going with their own "protocol." You don't need to withhold oxygen (that's what the sleep study is for). This should only be to evaluate dynamic collapse in a person who has already been confirmed to have OSA.
At a minimum, I’m thinking when I’m up, giving some solid pre oxygenation then begrudgingly removing/stopping it immediately prior to propofol.