Drug-resistant HIV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following is the most likely to contribute to the development of drug-resistant HIV?

A. Mutation of virus after insertion in the host-cell genome
B. Frequent random errors in transcription by host-cell enzymes

B is correct. I thought that drug-resistance would only come about with a change in the genetic material, and not by errors in transcription, since they're not permanent and can't be passed on. I think I may be getting something mixed up because this is a retrovirus, so if anyone can explain, that would be very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

It's exactly because HIV is a retrovirus. The virus invades a host cell. It releases RNA and other proteins into the cell, and reverse transcriptase from the virus makes DNA from the RNA, which is inserted into the genome of the host cell. Normally, the transcription of the genome would then reproduce this same RNA. However, transcription errors would result in a slightly different RNA, which now get packed into new viruses and sent out.

Oh, okay- but then wouldn't a mutation of the viral DNA, once inserted into the host cell's genome (as in choice A) also cause a mutated transcript to be packaged and sent out?

Thanks a lot!

Oh, okay- but then wouldn't a mutation of the viral DNA, once inserted into the host cell's genome (as in choice A) also cause a mutated transcript to be packaged and sent out?

Thanks a lot!

What you just said is basically B. I think A just means the virus enters genome and magically mutates-through some random process. this more unlikely (considering how random that is) than by transcription errors by the host-cell

A is wrong because even if you had a mutation to the virus, the body's immune system would eventually adapt and recognize it UNLESS it is constantly mutating (which is what B implies).