Drugs for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's regurgitate names of the drugs hopefully this effort will help others who keep forgetting like me. I will start.

What is the name of the drug that is an alpha 1 blocker and mainly used for benign prostate hyperplasia?

Members don't see this ad.

Drug of choice for Paget disease? Name some examples of the drugs (not just the drug class).

Drug of choice for Paget disease? Name some examples of the drugs (not just the drug class).

I am only going by assumption... But Bisphosphanates - Alendronic acid, that's all I got... Until I do that subject, lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only going by assumption... But Bisphosphanates - Alendronic acid, that's all I got... Until I do that subject, lol

Yep! Some others (from Firecracker) are Pamidronate and etidronate. I have the hardest time remembering "Alendronic acid/alendronate".. Bisphosphanates isn't hard to remember, but the specific drug names aren't sticking for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep! Some others (from Firecracker) are Pamidronate and etidronate. I have the hardest time remembering "Alendronic acid/alendronate".. Bisphosphanates isn't hard to remember, but the specific drug names aren't sticking for me.

There are some drugs that I came across in my old world, so the two in this thread are familiar ones for me. What worries me is trade names vs class names because they can differ across the pond.

Reactions: 1 user

In many ways pharmacology is like learning Latin. If you know the root then you know what the drug does. Obviously there are many exceptions but as a general rule it is far easier to remember the cognate of the drug class than it is to remember each individual drug within a specific class, unless it is really that important to know a specific drug within a class for a specific indication. Antivirals and anti-cancer drugs are probably the most difficult for this reason to me.

Let's regurgitate names of the drugs hopefully this effort will help others who keep forgetting like me. I will start.

What is the name of the drug that is an alpha 1 blocker and mainly used for benign prostate hyperplasia?
prazosin

Tamsulosin is preferred because it's specific for the prostate alpha-1. Prazosin and the others are non-specific.

In many ways pharmacology is like learning Latin. If you know the root then you know what the drug does. Obviously there are many exceptions but as a general rule it is far easier to remember the cognate of the drug class than it is to remember each individual drug within a specific class, unless it is really that important to know a specific drug within a class for a specific indication. Antivirals and anti-cancer drugs are probably the most difficult for this reason to me.

Great point. I try to use that strategy as much as possible as well.

Autonomic drugs used for glaucoma? Name one cholinergic and one adrenergic.

Tamsulosin is preferred because it's specific for the prostate alpha-1. Prazosin and the others are non-specific.

Great point. I try to use that strategy as much as possible as well.

Autonomic drugs used for glaucoma? Name one cholinergic and one adrenergic.

Timolol -beta agonist
Pilocarpine - anti muscarinic

Will be back to ask questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Antibiotic class with side effect of pseudotumor cerebri?

I actually didn't see it in Goljan RR, it was on my class powerpoints lol

Oh ok cool. I haven't looked at our course notes yet, but maybe it's in there too. It wasn't in FA, FC, Kaplan, or Pathoma. Hadn't heard of it until RR..

1. Prophylaxis for RSV bronchiolitis given to premature infants?
2. Class of HIV medications that are associated with the metabolic syndrome?
3. Medication used to promote fertility in PCOS?

1. Prophylaxis for RSV bronchiolitis given to premature infants?
2. Class of HIV medications that are associated with the metabolic syndrome?
3. Medication used to promote fertility in PCOS?

1. Palivizumab
2. Protease inhibitors (-navir) except atazanavir
3. Clomiphene

1. Drug used to treat cluster headaches?
2. Drug combo that can cure HCV?
3. Drug used to condition alcoholics to stop drinking?

Timolol -beta agonist
Pilocarpine - anti muscarinic

Will be back to ask questions.

Timolol - beta ANTagonist (minor oversight, but I'm sure that's what he meant)

... and on this note, might as well enumerate the rest of (2014 FA) glaucoma drugs:
a-agonists: Epi, Brimonidine (a2)
B-blockers: Timolol (already mentioned above), betaxolol, carteolol
diuretic: Acetazolamide (mentioned above)
Cholinomimetics:
-Direct: pilocarpine, carbachol
-Indirect: physostigmine, echothiophate
Prostaglandin: Latanoprost (already mentioned above)

Edit: added rest of Glaucoma drugs

Last edited:
1. Drug used to treat cluster headaches?
2. Drug combo that can cure HCV?
3. Drug used to condition alcoholics to stop drinking?

1 - Sumatriptan (and Inhaled O2, though not a 'drug')

2 - IFN-a, Ribavirin (though can't find the combination? Sorry just going off what I can find in FA for now)

3 - Disulfiram (naltrexone is used for supportive care)

Q: What drug is a B2-agonist that relaxes the uterus; used to dec. contraction frequency during labor?

1 - Sumatriptan (and Inhaled O2, though not a 'drug')

2 - IFN-a, Ribavirin (though can't find the combination? Sorry just going off what I can find in FA for now)

3 - Disulfiram (naltrexone is used for supportive care)

You were right on 2, that's what I was asking. I guess I should have said "pair" instead of "combo."

A 63-year-old woman is at the clinic for her annual examination. She has been healthy over the past year. Her physical examination is normal except for hypertension. Her doctor decides to start her on first-line medication for this, and she agrees to this plan. Which of the following complications is most likely to develop in this patient?

A 72-year-old man has stable angina pectoris, ischemia, and stenosis of an artery that perfuses a large segment of the myocardium that lacks collateral vessels. He is scheduled to undergo percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty to revascularize the myocardium. Which of the following is a cyclic peptide platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor that could be given to this patient to prevent platelet aggregation during percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty?

A 48-year-old African American man is brought to the emergency department because of multiple blood pressure readings of greater than 160/98 mm Hg. Height is 74 in., weight is 222 lb. He is on no medications. He has been on a new exercise regimen for several weeks and has limited his salt intake without any improvement in his blood pressure. On arrival, his blood pressure is 167/91 mm Hg. Examination shows no acute distress. Laboratory results are shown.

Glucose108 mg/dL
Urea nitrogen20 mg/dL
Creatinine, serum1.0 mg/dL
Cholesterol205 mg/dL

An ECG and chest x-ray are normal. What medication is the best initial treatment for this patient’s condition?

A 72-year-old man has stable angina pectoris, ischemia, and stenosis of an artery that perfuses a large segment of the myocardium that lacks collateral vessels. He is scheduled to undergo percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty to revascularize the myocardium. Which of the following is a cyclic peptide platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor that could be given to this patient to prevent platelet aggregation during percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty?

I only know of one because of the weird name.

Abciximab...I vaguely remember there are other types, but this is the only one I have bothered to remember so far.

A 48-year-old African American man is brought to the emergency department because of multiple blood pressure readings of greater than 160/98 mm Hg. Height is 74 in., weight is 222 lb. He is on no medications. He has been on a new exercise regimen for several weeks and has limited his salt intake without any improvement in his blood pressure. On arrival, his blood pressure is 167/91 mm Hg. Examination shows no acute distress. Laboratory results are shown.

Glucose108 mg/dL
Urea nitrogen20 mg/dL
Cholesterol205 mg/dL

An ECG and chest x-ray are normal. What medication is the best initial treatment for this patient’s condition?

So I realised I don't know any of my normal concentrations because everything for us is in mols... Eeessshhhhh

I only know of one because of the weird name.

Abciximab...I vaguely remember there are other types, but this is the only one I have bothered to remember so far.
not bad, it's eptifibatide. somehow this one works the same as abciximab, but it's the answer in this question. So the main usage for eptifibatide is for acute coronary symdromes and postangioplasty

Glucose108 mg/dL
Urea nitrogen20 mg/dL
Cholesterol205 mg/dL

Hydrochlorothiazide

provigil, caffeine, methamphetamine....oh...you mean on the Step 1...what a difference a preposition makes...

1 - tylenol overdose
2 - mucolytic
3 - contrast nephropathy

Antibiotic associated with serotonin syndrome?

1 - tylenol overdose
2 - mucolytic
3 - contrast nephropathy

Antibiotic associated with serotonin syndrome?

Linezolid. Good question- I had to look this up.

In addition to nitrites and sulfonamides, what other drugs are associated with methemoglobinemia? How can inducing methemoglobinemia be used clinically?

Bleomycin , Busulfan?

Name the drug that causes pseudo-lymphoma.

Bleomycin is correct. Busulfan is not used for Hodgkins!

Linezolid. Good question- I had to look this up.

In addition to nitrites and sulfonamides, what other drugs are associated with methemoglobinemia? How can inducing methemoglobinemia be used clinically?

Metoclopramide, dapsone, procaine (and friends).

Induce methemoglobinemia to treat cyanide poisoning.

Unique side effect of the antiviral drug that is also used to treat Parkinson disease?