About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTM&H/ CTropMed

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by emedpa, Feb 28, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc2B2015

Other Health Professions Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    anyone completed a diploma course in tropical medicine or the american society of tropical medicine certification in tropical medicine exam?
    I'm thinking about doing both and as far as I can tell I will be the first pa to do so.
    I'm chipping away at the overseas practice requirement and hoping to take a diploma course in tropical med. in the next few yrs. my preference would be the gorgas course in peru:
    http://gorgas.dom.uab.edu/
    http://www.astmh.org/Certification_Program/2161.htm
  2. fanondelaterre

fanondelaterre

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I took the Certificate in Tropical Medicine exam last fall. It is not an easy exam; but I used 'Tropical infectious diseases principles pathogens and practice' textbook by Walker, Guerrant, and Weller. I read the majority of the textbook (two volume set) and found it very helpful. I also reviewed my notes from the intensive course that I had taken a couple of years prior. I do not know if there is much variability between the various locations of the intensive courses. I do not think there would be. I do recommend looking into buying a textbook. I am sure Gorgas would be excellent with the real life exposure.

good luck
  3. NOsquid

NOsquid

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You won't be the first :) a PA I know did it at Tulane last year.
  4. the god

the god the god

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey all,
    I've been admitted to the DTM&H course in LSHTM for 2013 .... anyone else
  5. robare831

robare831 New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes! Admitted to both London school and Liverpool school starting in Sept '12 for their tropical medicine MSc program which can include the DH&TM exam.