Dual residency...is such a thing possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoxyG1624

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay here is my situation. I currently live in Florida with my boyfriend. He will be moving to Georgia in about 5 months. I still have 2 years left of school and therefore, when I graduate (if everything goes as planned), we will be married and I will be moving to Georgia.

So my question is, if we are married and I am still attending a Florida university would I be able to apply to MCG Since they only take Georgian residence?

Under the Georgia university system the rules for residency are:

"A. If a person is 18 years of age or older, he or she may register as an in-state student only upon showing that he or she has been a legal resident of Georgia for a period of at least 12 months immediately preceding the date of registration. Exceptions:
1. A student whose parent, SPOUSE, or court-appointed guardian is a legal resident of the State of Georgia may register as a resident providing the parent, spouse, or guardian can provide proof of legal residency in the State of Georgia at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of registration."

I would be able to fall under this exception, correct?

I am really hoping to apply to MCG my junior year, 2008, otherwise I would have to wait until I move there and then apply.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

RoxyG1624 said:
Okay here is my situation. I currently live in Florida with my boyfriend. He will be moving to Georgia in about 5 months. I still have 2 years left of school and therefore, when I graduate (if everything goes as planned), we will be married and I will be moving to Georgia.

So my question is, if we are married and I am still attending a Florida university would I be able to apply to MCG Since they only take Georgian residence?

"A. If a person is 18 years of age or older, he or she may register as an in-state student only upon showing that he or she has been a legal resident of Georgia for a period of at least 12 months immediately preceding the date of registration. Exceptions:
1. A student whose parent, SPOUSE, or court-appointed guardian is a legal resident of the State of Georgia may register as a resident providing the parent, spouse, or guardian can provide proof of legal residency in the State of Georgia at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of registration."

I am really hoping to apply to MCG my junior year, 2008, otherwise I would have to wait until I move there and then apply.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you would be ok, but the best way is to call MCG and ask directly.

RoxyG1624 said:

Thanks!

You will be fine. Your "Spouse" has lived there for at least 12 months before you will be applying. You will be good to go :thumbup: