Dual SW program or straight to LPC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

upsyndrome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that the LCSW and LPC debate is age-old and I've perused the general pros and cons of both... but I'd like some help relative to my specific situation. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse!!!! There are two programs available to me and I'm torn between them, neither of them are an exact fit but relocation is not an option.

There is an M.Ed in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. As of right now, the course work meets LPC requirements in Texas but the program itself is not CACREP accredited so there is the concern of changing standards mid-way through degree.

There is also a MSW/PhD dual degree program. It is CSWE accredited and includes courses in policy as well as counseling technique. Costs and time to completion of both programs are relatively equivalent (3.5 and 4 years, respectively).

I have a B.S. in Psych and paid experience in academic advising and I LOVE helping my students decide what fulfills them and how to make a career from it. I have volunteer hours in child advocacy and geriatric services, the latter mostly shadowing social workers I met as a CNA, but basically all of that served to tell me that social work (as it is commonly thought of) is not for me. I am not most interested in things like agency administration, grant writing, protective services or assisting the public in navigating government programs.

I wouldn't mind working in higher education as an instructor, advisor, or in student retention. I love the idea of counseling in private practice too but likely with daily living issues rather than substance abuse or eating disorders. I don't have a lot of real world experience to know what it takes to stand alone in the counseling field. Conducting research is something I have done successfully, but it's just not a focus of mine either. I could do it for my education but I don't expect it to be something I seek out as a professional.

It is my understanding the LPC in Texas is simpler to obtain, but social work provides more opportunity and flexibility. Can you intern in the same capacity as a social worker as you would if you were a counselor? Does having the PhD change anything in this scenario? Does any of this make sense for what I want to do?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Internships for social workers are generally similar to those of counselors, assuming you're in a clinical program.

To answer your first question, a Ph.D. in social work is basically useless unless teaching/research is your ultimate goal. There is such a thing as an advanced practice Ph.D. in social work, which is focused on therapeutic skills rather than research, but it's probably not going to be worth your time in terms of greater insurance reimbursement or clinical job opportunities.

Doesn't the school you're considering have a regular M.S.W. program in addition to its dual program?

Internships for social workers are generally similar to those of counselors, assuming you're in a clinical program.

To answer your first question, a Ph.D. in social work is basically useless unless teaching/research is your ultimate goal. There is such a thing as an advanced practice Ph.D. in social work, which is focused on therapeutic skills rather than research, but it's probably not going to be worth your time in terms of greater insurance reimbursement or clinical job opportunities.

Doesn't the school you're considering have a regular M.S.W. program in addition to its dual program?

What about the D.S.W. or D.S.S.W. some schools have?

Members don't see this ad :)
The DSW is slowly dying out, very very few schools offer that anymore. Not even the feds recognize that option, they only know of the research based SW Ph.D. You could get it....but it would basically be out of pocket and increasing your clinical knowledge base and nothing more.

The DSW is slowly dying out, very very few schools offer that anymore. Not even the feds recognize that option, they only know of the research based SW Ph.D. You could get it....but it would basically be out of pocket and increasing your clinical knowledge base and nothing more.

So for OPs case, the MSW would be the end of the road (education-wise)?

If you want to work at a university, in any capacity, having a doctorate is advantageous, but it is not necessary. In order to get a PhD you will have to do research and writing. Do you have any interest in that at all? If you want a sky is the limit future do the doctorate. If you know specifically that you want to be a counselor or therapist then do the Mental Health Counseling degree.

If you want to work at a university, in any capacity, having a doctorate is advantageous, but it is not necessary. In order to get a PhD you will have to do research and writing. Do you have any interest in that at all? If you want a sky is the limit future do the doctorate. If you know specifically that you want to be a counselor or therapist then do the Mental Health Counseling degree.

While noting that the Ph.D. could potentially land you more income if you play your cards right.