Duke toxicity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with @Howard888. While the transition can be costly and painful, it has been shown over and over that even large anesthesia groups can be replaced and business return to normal after a year or 2. For whatever reason, probably money and control, Duke unilaterally decided to replace PDC with DFP and they will more than likely succeed.
Everyone is replaceable. An old surgeon used to tell me that the graveyards are full of men that thought they were irreplaceable.

Having said that most administrators don't have the political capital to survive the inevitable **** show that replacing an entire group brings. They are just as replaceable if not more than any of us.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone is replaceable. An old surgeon used to tell me that the graveyards are full of men that thought they were irreplaceable.

Having said that most administrators don't have the political capital to survive the inevitable **** show that replacing an entire group brings. They are just as replaceable if not more than any of us.

But they ALWAYS land on their feet. I’m not concerned for Dean Klotman’s future. The story will be that she guided Duke through a difficult but necessary transition and possibly even get a promotion or a higher position elsewhere. Even if she’s fired, she’ll get an 8 figure golden parachute.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @Howard888. While the transition can be costly and painful, it has been shown over and over that even large anesthesia groups can be replaced and business return to normal after a year or 2. For whatever reason, probably money and control, Duke unilaterally decided to replace PDC with DFP and they will more than likely succeed.
Not that easy these days. It cost $$$$, life, and the administers' job.

Duke is huge and it can make it. Community hospitals, especially out of big cities, good luck.

The worst part is that some of us look down our profession. If you don't respect your own profession, who else will?

Not that easy these days. It cost $$$$, life, and the administers' job.

Duke is huge and it can make it. Community hospitals, especially out of big cities, good luck.

The worst part is that some of us look down our profession. If you don't respect your own profession, who else will?

It's sad but true. Those among us that look down on our own profession are usually those who are lured into the business side of things and don't practice medicine much. $ over patients.

Shady as f***. Muscling to acquire an independent $1billion faculty practice for free. I’m glad this anesthesia/intensivist stood up against them and hope he prevails.

Looks like they're crowd funding/investing for the legal defense fund. It's a crazy lawsuit. I'm enjoying the look behind the curtain for the ivory tower.

It will be interesting to see how far this goes...

Reactions: 1 user
It’s funny Congress is has taken on so much concern about the anticompetitive practices of the travel nursing industry but has been unconcerned for the past 2 decades about the anticompetitive practices of regional healthcare behemoths.

Reactions: 1 users
That website is so strange. Invest $10-20k in a lawsuit? Donate $10-20k to a lawsuit? I don’t get it.

I thought the same thing. Maybe you get a reward if they prevail in the lawsuit. The odds don’t seem very good though.

Reactions: 1 user
That website is so strange. Invest $10-20k in a lawsuit? Donate $10-20k to a lawsuit? I don’t get it.

I assume you are just buying a part of the ultimate settlement/award.

So this was all a play to hit Duke up for more money, or what??

So this was all a play to hit Duke up for more money, or what??

This was a (successful) play by the university to access the docs revenue stream.

Reactions: 1 users
yes but likely a lot of money was paid to the physicians. Prob stupid money

It’s impossible to know whether nobody got paid, some people got paid, or everybody got paid. Duke might have paid nothing or they might have paid a billion dollars for the affiliated faculty practice.