Dumb ERAS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question...

My ERAS application is pretty much finished.

Basic info, CV info, programs, personal statement, board scores, etc.

The only thing NOT done are the letters of recommendation.

Can I submit my ERAS application and then have the LOR forwarded along?

Members don't see this ad.

I've asked this question myself. ERAS told me that your school can NOT upload transcripts, LORS and stuff unless you have submitted your application.

Schools can't upload transcript or MSPEs until after you register your ERAS token.

Schools can't upload LORs and photographs until after you apply to programs.

You totally can apply before your LORs come in. You school will upload them as they arrive.

when can we submit (i.e. verify or whatever the term is)? is it sept. 1?

cytoskelement said:
when can we submit (i.e. verify or whatever the term is)? is it sept. 1?

Ahhh ERAS, yet another monopoly and hoop set to jump through. One of my attendings was telling me about the pre-eras days. He got all his documents digitized, downloaded something called the Universal Application for Residency, put it in his word processor, scanned in a photograph. Filled in all the blanks, added his CV, copies of his transcripts, license exam scores, personal statement.

Then he printed off about 30 copies of the stuff, put them in envelopes and mailed them off. He told me it cost him about 40 bucks to get it all done. He had to do the eras for his prelim year since they all required it. 10 ERAS apps cost him 60 bucks and it would have cost him over $400 if he had to do all 40 programs that way.

In this day of computerized everything, why do applicants and why do programs need the expense and overhead of ERAS?

ERAS average $200 per med student x 15000 med students/year $3,000,000. A tidy sum. Yes, a tidy sum indeed!

I think the average is much more!!! Especially with the IMG who alot of them apply to more than 50 programs!!