Duquesne Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustJane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to the Weekend PharmD program at Duquesne?

Members don't see this ad.

I have, did you hear anything from them?

No, I haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
You will probably hear in the next few weeks. When I went through the admissions process, their first "interview" date was Feb 14th (probably chose valentines day just to see who would show up). Interview sessions were also done in later months as well.

If you have any questions about the program, send me a message. I'm halfway through it now.

KJC thanks for the info. How do you like the program? Would you say it was competitive to get into?

i have not heard anything from duquesne yet--i applied into pharmacy school for 2011. is anyone else still waiting:rolleyes:

I just got an email interview offer for Duquesne Weekend Program. Its Feb 26th. Anyone else hear anything yet?

I also got an interview invite e-mail on Tuesday for the same date. All this waiting is killing me!

Last edited:
I know, all the waiting is terrible! Where else did you apply?

It seems like the interview at Duquesne is going to be a different style. I think they only do group discussions, no one on one interview. Have you heard anything else about the interview?

This is actually the only place I applied to because that's the only program that I want to be in. One of my friends is in it and I talked to her a little about the interview. She said it's definitely weird... there's some kind of personality assessment questionare, and no one on one interview. And I think it's weird that part of it is taking place at the Doubletree...maybe they want people to see the city a little bit, I don't know... I guess we'll see. What about you, where else did you apply? I'm nervous..I have good grades and everything, but my PCAT is really low. It's above 400, but I don't know if it will be good enough...

Oh gosh. How can they tell what your personality is like through a questionaire. Maybe they should just interview you!! Its very werid they are holding the interviews in a hotel. I am really nervous as well. My PCAT scores were pretty low too. I had above 400 but not high enough for other schools. I have an interview at Lecom Bradenton and Lecom Erie as well.

I know. Well, I guess we can't do anything but wait. Let me know if you find anything else out about the interview! And good luck with all the other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm attending the weekend program...already sent in my deposit

awesome! i just sent mine yesterday! Where are you guys from?

I'm from Cleveland, OH. Will be moving to Pittsburgh in August. I went to Duquesne for undergrad, can't wait to be back!

Awesome. I went to Pitt for undergrad so I still live in Pgh area. My brothers goes to Duquesne now. Do you konw whats going on with the Biostats class. First they told me I was exempt from it but not they are saying that everyone needs to take it through Duquesne. Have you heard anything?

I know... that was confusing during the interview. After the interview I asked Scott about it, I said I took biostats at Duquesne in undergrad and he said I'm fine and don't need to take it again. I think they mean that you can't substitute it with just any statistics, it has to be biostatistics. But I'm not exactly sure...

Hey, I'm going to be moving here from Texas....rather excited about starting a new life. How's the living situation here? I mean, are there plenty of nearby apartments, and how's the cost and everything? I'm going to have to find a roommate to live with, too.

Last edited:
You'll have to take the biostats class at Duquesne over the summer. It will be an online course lasting about a month. It's very easy but you have to take it through Duquesne. The course is specific to the pharmacy program because it cuts out most of the math - you'll focus on the differences between the types of drug studies and how to interpret them.

If you have any questions specifically about the weekend program, you can PM me.

Carbon 14 - When will we be notified if we have to take the biostats course? I was told that I don't have to take it. I took it through duquesne in undergrad but I don't know if it was pharmacy specific...

lmaonadestand - wow all the way from Texas, that's cool. There are a lot of universities in that area so finding an apartment shouldn't be difficult. And if you get a roommate, it shouldn't be very expensive either. The closest places I would suggest are maybe South Side, Shadyside, Oakland... I'm going to live in Highland Park and have a roommate already, it's not too far away...maybe 15 min drive to Duquesne. Although...traffic can get really bad, but I don't think it should be too much of a problem for us since classes are on weekends

Carbon 14 - When will we be notified if we have to take the biostats course? I was told that I don't have to take it. I took it through duquesne in undergrad but I don't know if it was pharmacy specific...

Jane, you'll be exempt from biostats but you have to speak to Scott in order to be waived. If you don't mind me asking, who taught your biostats course?

I think right around this time Scott sends a spreadsheet asking you to list whether you've taken Microbio, Biostats, Anatomy & Phys, and Biochemistry. If you have taken these courses at a traditional university (not community college), you will probably be exempt. Be prepared to send in a copy of your syllabus from each of these courses. It's in your best interest to do so in order to be exempt. You'll save time and money. If you haven't taken these classes, I believe the first one is Microbiology which starts next month. If you are exempt from all of these, congrats.. you've got till August to relax so take a long vacation.

lmaonadestand - wow all the way from Texas, that's cool. There are a lot of universities in that area so finding an apartment shouldn't be difficult. And if you get a roommate, it shouldn't be very expensive either. The closest places I would suggest are maybe South Side, Shadyside, Oakland... I'm going to live in Highland Park and have a roommate already, it's not too far away...maybe 15 min drive to Duquesne. Although...traffic can get really bad, but I don't think it should be too much of a problem for us since classes are on weekends

lmaonadestand if you have a car, you can live practically anywhere because I've yet to hit traffic driving in to classes on weekends. I'm not too close to campus either. Otherwise, pick a place close to campus so that you can take the bus. If you haven't found a roommate, consider e-mailing your graduating class to see if anyone wants to pair up. All of the places Jane mentioned are close to DU and are fairly cheap in terms of rent. You can check out craigslist to get a better idea.

Congrats and good luck!

Carbon14 - the program is being changed and now starts in August, not in May (so Biochem/anat & phys/micro will start in august). So basically the program is now going to be 4 years, not 3.5. I got the spreadsheet a while back and according to it I am given credit for Biochem. And I had Barbush for biostats I and dont remember the name of professor for biostats II. I talked to Scott after the interview, he said I don't have to take biostats, but I haven't gotten any official confirmation yet

Carbon14 - the program is being changed and now starts in August, not in May (so Biochem/anat & phys/micro will start in august). So basically the program is now going to be 4 years, not 3.5. I got the spreadsheet a while back and according to it I am given credit for Biochem. And I had Barbush for biostats I and dont remember the name of professor for biostats II. I talked to Scott after the interview, he said I don't have to take biostats, but I haven't gotten any official confirmation yet

I didn't know that it's 4 years now but that's a good thing! Do the pre-reqs start in August? As far as the confirmation, send Scott an email, that way you have a 'paper trail'

by pre-reqs, do you mean biochem/anat&phys/micro? Those are technically not pre-reqs, they are part of the program and will start in august...I think...(if I understood right at the interview lol)

From duq website...
Prerequisites must come from 4-year college/universities in the United States:
General Biology I & Lab, 4 cr.
General Biology II & Lab, 4 cr.
General Chemistry I & Lab, 4 cr.
General Chemistry II & Lab, 4 cr.
Organic Chemistry I & Lab, 4 cr.
Organic Chemistry II & Lab, 4 cr.
Physics w/ lab, 4 cr.
Calculus I , 4 cr.
Biostatistics, 3 cr.

I'm not sure if I'm bringing my car or leasing one over there, but my goal is to drive as little as possible. Over here, I've been driving ~25 miles for about 45 minutes to class every day for the past 3 years, hahah....I do need to bring my instruments, though.. If there are any places a few blocks away from campus or within a bus ride's distance, that would be ideal. Also, does anyone want to start a Facebook group for our class? Starting a new life is going to be a little foreign to me. I've always been so close to home. Very excited to meet everyone.

I would say that you probably would be ok taking a bus from almost anywhere that's 15-20 mins out of the city. Pittsburgh public transportation system is pretty good. If you live in South Side flats, you can even walk to Duquesne, all you have to do is cross the bridge.

I would say that you probably would be ok taking a bus from almost anywhere that's 15-20 mins out of the city. Pittsburgh public transportation system is pretty good. If you live in South Side flats, you can even walk to Duquesne, all you have to do is cross the bridge.

First of all, I'd like to thank you guys/girls for all this help. I have another question : are there any furnished 1:1 apartments you know of or would recommend?

Has anyone heard back from the school yet after sending the deposit?

I did a few days after sending it. Also got an e-mail today with more details about the program.

we can enter, but do you think we will be ready for this after only a few weekends of pharmacy school?

are we the only three on here that are planning on attending Duquesne?!

wow guys we are officially registered for classes!!

wow guys we are officially registered for classes!!

I'm trying to get my Multipass, but it's telling me it can't find me in the system. Also, we most likely will not be ready, but one of my friends is finishing up his P3 year here in Austin. He encouraged me to do it anyways for fun. Said a few P1s do it.

are we the only three on here that are planning on attending Duquesne?!

Yeah I guess so. The weekend program has a really small class, after all. Do you guys mind sending me all your emails in PM? I want to add you on Facebook and start a group for our graduating class.

Are we supposed to be able to see any classes on Blackboard? I'm having some trouble with my Multipass account because I was accepted last year, but couldn't attend. So they already set up my accounts last year, and it's conflicting with stuff this year, lol.

Hm..that's weird. I can see the classes I'm registered for but not the schedule

Hey guys,

So I am looking into two different places to intern. My options are Giant Eagle or CVS. I just wanted your opinions. Do you know if one is perfered to the other?
THanks!

Hey guys,

So I am looking into two different places to intern. My options are Giant Eagle or CVS. I just wanted your opinions. Do you know if one is perfered to the other?
THanks!

I don't know about Giant Eagle, but CVS works its employees like slaves.

Hey can you guys help me out some more? I'm still having trouble finding a safe place to live near campus. It's really tough doing it long distance. I'm reading reviews, but every review I read seems to be either posted by the people who own the apartments or people who have had really bad experiences.

How close can I live to DU while still feel safe? From my understanding, Hill District and Oakland aren't great areas. JustJane -- which complex are you staying at? I think I'm just going to pick at random one of the places you guys are staying at.

Last edited:
lmaonadestand do you plan on living alone?

Yeah unless someone responds to my Craigslist post about sharing a 2:2. I think my dad has agreed on Eagle Ridge since I've read that all the apartments walking distance to campus are unsafe.

Have you tried sending an e-mail out to your incoming class to check if anyone is looking for a room mate? You are right, most of the places within walking distance are not that great. Check out places in Bloomfield. I've got a friend there and his place is pretty safe. Theres Heinz Lofts which are expensive. Eagle Ridge is good too.

Have you tried sending an e-mail out to your incoming class to check if anyone is looking for a room mate? You are right, most of the places within walking distance are not that great. Check out places in Bloomfield. I've got a friend there and his place is pretty safe. Theres Heinz Lofts which are expensive. Eagle Ridge is good too.

I'm a bit afraid of rooming with someone from my class since he/she will be a close colleague for the next four years. Don't want to ruin a first impression.

I've also read that Heinz Lofts have paper thin walls where people can hear the person next door breathing sometimes if it's heavy breathing. That would be a problem, I like to play music. My best friend here moved every semester for three semesters during our undergrad because people would be banging on his walls when he was trying to record something in the middle of the day, any day of the week.

Last edited:
Haha don't be so hard on yourself man! I'm sure you'll be surprised by most of your classmates since almost everyone in my class still finds time to party. You'll get away with playing some music anywhere you end up living. ER is VERY low key but the walls are thick. Thats a good thing because its easier to study when you dont have neighbors that blast rock music at 3AM.