Duquesne University vs. Antioch University New England

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dactilografa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the inestimable blessing of having been offered a place at these two schools. Duquesne is a PhD and AUNE is a PsyD. There are a number of things I love about each program and they also each have weaknesses. I'm not entirely sure how best to make this choice. I would love to hear from anyone who knows the two schools, or any tips on how others made similar decisions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the inestimable blessing of having been offered a place at these two schools. Duquesne is a PhD and AUNE is a PsyD. There are a number of things I love about each program and they also each have weaknesses. I'm not entirely sure how best to make this choice. I would love to hear from anyone who knows the two schools, or any tips on how others made similar decisions. Thanks.

What do you like/dislike about each?

I'd vote for Duquesne. It's funded, while Antioch is not, for one (huge, IMO) thing. I take it that if you've been admitted to Duquesne, you're probably comfortable with and a good fit for its qualitative focus and somewhat unique theoretical bent. Duquesne also has a higher rate of matching students to APA accredited internships. They do have a longer mean time to completion, but I'd still take that over $200k+ in student loan debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd prefer the PhD due to the slight differences still surrounding the two degrees. The tuition is waived at Duquesne. There is more clinical work at Duquesne. There are more professors I'd like to work with. Downsides, no formal research opportunities, have to move to Pittsburgh, and less practical application of the theory than I would like. AUNE is very expensive and I'm not sure whether its regarded quite as well. But they have great research opportunities and I wouldn't have to move.

I have to agree with the previous poster, Duquense is the way to go. Although I completely understand the positive side of not having to move, the benefits that you will get by coming from a well regarded school with a funded program are (IMO) better. AUNE is not a bad program, but I wouldn't place it in the same level as other PsyD programs such as Rutgers, Widener and Baylor, considering it's been around a longer while it should be stronger. In addition, the match rates are definitely something that should be considered.

While I have no bias against PsyD programs personally, I applied to a few, realize that the stigma of a PsyD is something you should be prepared to deal with if attending AUNE also.

Over time, the funding differential is likely to have a large influence on your career. Debt matters and is a much more long lasting stressor than that of moving. The research differential is something you can actually have a great deal of control over once you get settled in a program by how you choose projects and practicum, etc. And the PhD is still the more versatile degree--so that combined with the funding seems to me to be very significant factors in favor of learning to love Pittsburgh.

realize that the stigma of a PsyD is something you should be prepared to deal with if attending AUNE also.

I'm curious to know if psychologists from good Psy.D. programs have actually noted and been affected by stigma about their Psy.D. degree. Many of my colleagues in my last couple of jobs have been Psy.D.s and they aren't viewed differently, nor have I heard anyone speaking differently about Ph.D. versus Psy.D. applications for internships or jobs. The only program-related stigmas I've noticed are stigmas from programs with questionable or weak reputations.

Last edited:
I'm curious to know if psychologists from good Psy.D. programs have actually noted and been affected by stigma about their Psy.D. degree.

I have the same curiosity. If a Psy.D. program is reputable, besides the slighter lower income and less chances to teach, maybe, do Ph.D.'s really consider Psy.D.'s 'lower' do to their more practically oriented degree??

Looks like you have a lot of us wondering. I question whether the stigma is greater amongst students vs. the real world. In my world, I have not seen any difference in treatment, respect, or opportunities.

The only exception I would say is tenured faculty positions, but no one I know with a Psy.D. has ever had an interest in pursuing a tenured position.

I think the PsyD degree has less of a stigma attached to it these days. I believe the school where you got your degree will affect you more significantly in your internship/job search as many do not look favorably upon online schools. As for the OPs question, I am not familiar with either Duquesne (how does one pronounce that anyway? :laugh:) or Antioch.

I am a first year student at AUNE. I LOVE the program. The only downside however is the cost, which is something to highly consider. Although it is an expensive program, most students pay off their loans approximately 10 years after graduation. If it means anything to you, the faculty and staff truly care about your education and devote any and all of their time to making sure you are getting the most out of your experience. Dactilografa, please feel free to PM me with any and all questions.

Last edited:
I've been waiting to hear from Duquesne as well and finally got tired and sent an email to one of the professors I interviewed with. Found out I'm on the waiting list and won't know anything definitive for a while longer...sucks! I also have other offers, but DU is my first choice. Just hoping some people decide to go elsewhere. I would suggest you email an inquiry so you can stop driving yourself crazy waiting! Good luck!