duration of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always thought that the length of most residencies like endo and ortho is 2 years. But I recently heard that it is really 4 years. Can someone shed some light as to how long each specialty takes? I think it will have a serious impact on my decision process.

Members don't see this ad.

The below stat is for USC.

Advanced Education in General Dentistry, 12 months
Endodontics, 24 months
General Practice Residency, 12 months
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 48 months
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery/M.D.,72 months
Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, 24 months
Orthodontics, 36 months
Pediatric Dentistry, 24 or 36 months
Periodontology, 36 months
Prosthodontics, 36 months

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/admissions/adv_admissions.htm

ItsGavinC said:
It varies to some extent from program to program, however *most* ortho are now 3 years, I believe. Most endo programs are 2 year programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each school is different. I believe ortho ranges from 18-36 months

woah 18? im pretty sure 24mo is the minimum for ortho
and many 24 month ortho programs dont give a master's (I can think of Iowa being an exception) - a bunch of the ones that give an MS are 26-27 mo, some are 30, some are 36

I thought there were some programs, one in LA specifically that was 18-20 months, but I could be wrong ... it happens a lot.

texas_dds said:
woah 18? im pretty sure 24mo is the minimum for ortho
and many 24 month ortho programs dont give a master's (I can think of Iowa being an exception) - a bunch of the ones that give an MS are 26-27 mo, some are 30, some are 36

Yeah, I think 2 years it the minimum, and I've *heard* that many of those programs are shifting towards 3 years.