DVM/PhD anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinSciVet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else applying for DVM/PhD programs this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Well as a disgruntled PhD student fininishing up her degree I'd say DONT DO IT. but then again, like I said, I'm a bit biased, tired, and disillusioned. That comes with being in a lab for 5 years. but I'm sure you'll be fine :) Why are you interested in doing a DVM/PhD? What do you think you'd like to do your research in?

Well as a disgruntled PhD student fininishing up her degree I'd say DONT DO IT. but then again, like I said, I'm a bit biased, tired, and disillusioned.

Wow... summed it up greatly!

Also curious, anyone know what doors a PhD (biochem) will open (with a DVM)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I only applied to joint DVM/PhD programs. I enjoy research and completed research honors during undergrad. I am primarily interested in Population Medicine and Infectious Disease.

awesome, I really like infectious disease too.
A PhD is tough, I'm not going to lie, but if you REALLY like research, and want to do research its obviously usually necessary. I'm definitely glad that I did one (and am even more glad that I'm almost done with it) even just to find out what real research is really like. It has definitely made me a stronger person. But it has also made me know that I definitely do not want to go into academia when I'm done. I do really enjoy research though...when it works..and I would like to be involved in research in the future but I just know I can't make that my life. I have the utmost respect for those that can though.

No imagination: are you doing a PhD in biochemistry? How close are you to being done?

No imagination: are you doing a PhD in biochemistry? How close are you to being done?

Yeah, Biochem.

Formatting my Dissertation (hoping I don't have to do more experiments) 'done". Or, "If they don't give it to me, I'm taking a Masters! 'done'.

I love my project, but what I wouldn't give to work on something else. I find myself volunteering my time to other people so I don't have to run another gel/assay/column.

Like you said, I will never go into Academia (those people work harder then I want to work). Putting in a 60 hour week is one thing, but if you want to succeed in academia, you really do have to take your work home (and now many schools are talking about getting rid of tenure!)

Not this year, but I'll be applying to DVM/PhD dual degree programs next cycle. I'm doing a MS in Animal Biology right now with my research and coursework in population and behavior genetics. I actually am aiming to go into academia and want to do both clinical and basic research on companion animal genetics. :D

awesome, I really like infectious disease too.
A PhD is tough, I'm not going to lie, but if you REALLY like research, and want to do research its obviously usually necessary. I'm definitely glad that I did one (and am even more glad that I'm almost done with it) even just to find out what real research is really like. It has definitely made me a stronger person. But it has also made me know that I definitely do not want to go into academia when I'm done. I do really enjoy research though...when it works..and I would like to be involved in research in the future but I just know I can't make that my life. I have the utmost respect for those that can though.

can u tell us what ur daily routine consist of as a phd candidate?

can u tell us what ur daily routine consist of as a phd candidate?

Not sure if you're talking to me or gella, but I'll give you my take.

Research Phase

Head into lab @ 8:00
EDIT: Write/read long unsolicited posts on SDN
Pour 3-4 gels, prep samples for running, pour stack, degas
Do normal tissue culture buffer x-changes (move confluent cells, throw away what's not needed ext.)
Start gels
Go to lunch
Prep LC columns, prep LC samples
Stain gels and Transfer for westerns
Finish LC run
Block membrane
Go home.
@ Home... write everything in lab book (hope you didn't forget anything)
Go back into get laptop
Rinse and repeat.
Took about 300 gels, 100 westerns to get my results.
1/month, do animal studies. Collect tissue samples for above analysis.
While doing this, you typically have 3-4 classes to teach, Journal clubs, and your own classes (1st 2 years)

Writing Phase:

Write Write Write. Question all your results. Convince yourself that your results are good. Throw away bad data (yup), and make an argument. You have to convince yourself that your DONE. - No: "One more experiment"

Grant Writing: (Required for academia if you ever want funding and tenure, assuming your university is still offering it)

I'll get back to you. But so far, 10x harder than anything I've done so far

Last edited:
Depends on the day but generally ...

6-7am -- check on research animals.
7am -5:30pm --Start running PCRs, QPCRs, gels, ELISAs, statistics, bench work etc.
5:30 -- check on research animals.
5:30-9 -- go home. eat. take care of horses. bird. cat. update lab notebook (I'm glad to hear that someone else takes theirs home!)
9pm -- set up PCRs to go overnight. Run another gel.
12midnight -- go home.
12-1 -- study for whatever class or seminar I might be enrolled in.

Unless I'm doing an infection study. Then I'm with the animals for at least an hour every 6 hours (the 6th hour counts from when I get there not when I leave...) for 2-3 weeks.

Throw in a class or two a semester.

I love it and hate it all at the same time. But usually love more than hate. and certainly don't regret it.

Writing Phase:

You have to convince yourself that your DONE. - No: "One more experiment"

And therein lies the problem - or rather, it's convincing everyone else that you are DONE, a difficult thing since grad students are frequently viewed as cheap labor :laugh:

No Imagination - good luck!! Having just come out of that phase I completely relate, but there really is light at the end of the tunnel, and it really isn't the train :rolleyes: (I've been doing the Snoopy Dance of Joy for about 6 weeks straight now :soexcited:)

I am applying to DVM/Phd programs this year as well. I am mainly looking at Biochemistry programs. I eventually want to get involved in translational research.

If you're applying this year where did you apply and why? Or if you're applying in the future where are you planning on applying and why?

thats pretty hardcore, if u spend so much time on PHD component then what about the DVM part?

i'm assuming that the DVM/PHD runs similiar to the Mbbs/PHD program...in australia. its like the first 2 years is medical school then 3-4 of phd studies...5-6 year of combined phd and medical school... is that the same in america?

And therein lies the problem - or rather, it's convincing everyone else that you are DONE No Imagination - good luck!! Having just come out of that phase I completely relate, but there really is light at the end of the tunnel, and it really isn't the train :rolleyes: (I've been doing the Snoopy Dance of Joy for about 6 weeks straight now :soexcited:)

Congratulations!! I'd did a Snoopy Joy Joy Dance once, about 2 years ago when i got my first 'good' result. Turns out, the result didn't even make the 2nd cut of my diss.

Light may not be a train, but sure feels like it :) Thanks again for the encouragement.

I am applying to DVM/Phd programs this year as well. I am mainly looking at Biochemistry programs. I eventually want to get involved in translational research.

OK.... Translation research? You probably want a Molecular Biology discipline (although there is certainly a lot of overlap with Biochem, and for some, the nomenclature is a moot point).

Why DVM if you’re interested in translational research? 90% of trans work is with E. coli and Yeast. I never met anyone interested in going into translational research because they were interested in understanding the intricacies of Aminoacyl tRNA synthetase binding). Are you thinking of Transgenics? If that’s the case, you’re out of my expertise. I've done a bit on vector design (more like assisted) for transgenic work, but nothing to write home about. Also, DVM/PhD and MD/PhD dual programs tend to be a lot different than strict academic doctoral programs.

If you're applying this year where did you apply and why? Or if you're applying in the future where are you planning on applying and why?

Feel free to PM me if you would like more personal information as to where I applied, were I’ve been accepted and where I think I am going. But until I know myself, I will like to keep some anonymity.

Your questions are a bit pointed and personal for someone who signed up yesterday and has 2 posts (Adcom?) :eyebrow: (but I’m willing to work with you if I can help you make a decision one way or another).

Like Gella and others said, research is really love/hate.

By translational research, I mean the relatively new "bench to bedside" research. As a DVM/PhD, I would be trained in basic science as well as comparative medicine, which would seem to be useful in this type of research.

Sorry for the confusion, and a PM is on the way.

I see. Yeah, not familiar with the term. Thought you meant DNA-Protein translational research.

Yeah so basically my day is fairly similar to others that posted (I'm late to the game here today, I shadow at a veterinary hospital on wednesdays!)

its really a long day with a lot of work. sometimes there is a lot of down time while you wait for things to be ready, and then when they're ready its rush rush rush to get things done, then wait wait wait. Waiting times are usually filled with informal meetings with my boss (my boss either comes over to my bench and we discuss results for a half hour or we go to a conference room and sketch out possible papers and what we need to do to publish next), seminars (tuesdays and wednesdays 12:15-1:15pm), and writing in my notebook. My day usually ends around 7pm, I often get in around 8am.

I like microbiology cause I love how organisms so small can do so much damage to huge "complex" organisms like ourselves and animals. I also get to do quite a bit of molecular genetics and biochemistry in my work which is good.

Congratulations No Imagination on being so close!! I have to give a seminar in April and meet with my thesis committee and i hope Hope HOPE they tel me to "start writing" (I've already started but I need them to give the official go ahead so I can wrap it up and get out of here!!)

Good luck everyone on your applications/acceptances! I'm not applying til next fall so I'm jealous right now reading everyones posts :)

<<thats pretty hardcore, if u spend so much time on PHD component then what about the DVM part? >>

Was this comment made to me? I'm not formally in a DVM/PhD program ... our school does not have one but there is sort of a fed-for-yourself option if you want to be ambitious and go against the grain. so far only one other student is doing this. I am hoping to start veterinary curriculum in the fall, so obviously those hours would be drastically changed. :p

I'm currently on my 3rd year of my PhD and hope to have the majority of my bench work done by this coming fall ... and do the last writting part during vet school (if I am accepted) and then defend in the summer.

It's insane 99% of the time. But I'm hoping that working insane hours now will pay off later.