E2 reaction on DAT

Started by BRZ24
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BRZ24

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How crazy are the E2 reactions with the stereoselectivity?

I learned from chad's that if you are doing E2, you must grab a hydrogen that is positioned antiperiplanar from the leaving group and if there are two hydrogens that are antiperiplanar then you pick the most substituted carbon(zaitsev)

Now I stumbled upon this video that showed that you have to satisfy the zaitsev's rule first and then antiperiplanar thing by rotating the molecule OR draw the newman projection, etc.

wtf?? I didn't know you have to do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1qyWZEzmyI

I don't understand why he doesn't just grab the hydrogen from the methyl group on the top left corner since it has a hydrogen on a dash position and form the double bond between the carbon thats on the top left corner and the one bearing the br initially.
 
Personally, I wouldn't worry much about this at all. I think Chad covers it in enough detail. On my test, the answer choices weren't too tricky or anything... I think for an E2 reaction, the answer would not be too hard to pick out. If you've got the major concepts, the nitty gritty just isn't so important. 😉
 
You need to know E1 and E2 as well as Zaitsev versus Hoffman. As far as stereochemistry, just make a trans/E. Most substituted alkene when dong zaitzev. That is all. Hope it helps.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk