Earlier exam date for more convenient location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

money117

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So this morning I decided to register for an August MCAT near Vancouver and much to my surprise, they're all already gone.

Now my options are either to take an August MCAT on the Island (about 3 hour drive away) or in Seattle (about 2.5 hours away), and will most definitely need to stay the night before in a hotel. However, there are available dates for mid July in the Vancouver area - about a 20-30 min drive for me.

So I ask: Is it worth it to shave off 2.5 weeks of my previously planned 14 weeks of studying for a more convenient (and less expensive) test location? I'm trying to consider all the effects including my comfort level and amount of rest I gain from taking it locally rather than going out.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What I did was to register for a farther location (7 hours from home) on the date I wanted and then studied and planned accordingly. I checked open locations once a day or every other day and eventually something opened up on the same date at literally the closest location to me (7 minutes from home). That would be my recommendation. Worst comes to worst you have to stay in a hotel doesn't seem too bad to me.

In the long run, will a few hundred dollar of travel really matter more than 2-3 extra points on the exam? Unless its prohibitively expensive, I say give yourself the extra time.