early decision advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwhitman10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding early decision. What is the norm, and what is recommended among everyone?

I had originally planned to apply to one school for early decision, and if I was not accepted apply to a group of schools after. Knowing this may not be possible until late October.

Is it safer to not do early decision and submit to all schools (~7) mid august?

If you do not select "early decision" does your application go to the "back of the list of applications" and not reviewed until after schools have reviewed early decision applications?

Thanks

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel like you have a good shot at getting in (stats are close to average), do ED and save your money. If you don't feel like you have a decent chance, shotgun it.

Oh ED are for people with close to average stats? "Shotgun it" as in apply after ED?

Members don't see this ad :)
-I don't have the greatest stats
3.44 overall GPA
~3.5 science GPA
64 composite PCAT (81 chemistry and 89 Bio)
4 years post-graduate experience at a BioPharmaceutical company

My original plan was to do 1 ED then apply to multiple if I do not get accepted. I think I am leaning the other way now and going to apply to ~7 up front.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I would consider ED for people who are maybe slightly below average and up compared to choice school. It will bump you up if you are on the low end because it says that it's your one and only. If you are average stats or above it just gives you that early peace of mind.

If you are way below, it would be wise to just shotgun apply off the bat to increase your chance of success.

ok i understand you a little just not the "shotgun applying" part. Does Shotgun apply mean apply normally? after ED?

It means apply in lieu of ED, to a bunch of different places, like shotgun BBs, they go all over the place.

Im also deciding whether i should do early decision or not.
What if I just apply early before september 2 deadline, but I dont select ED .. can I still get an interview early?