Early Decision application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeff0106

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it important to get the application sent in as early as possible for Early Decision? I know during traditional application you do want it in early because of rolling admissions, but since there are usually not many Early Decision applicants and because the latest you can apply (at least for MCG) is August 1st, I kind of thought that submitting it super early as important.

I just wanted to double check.

Members don't see this ad.

The question is how many are likely to apply early admission for MCG. Because it's Georgia's only public school I would think a good amount. For that reason I would still want to apply reasonably early to get at the front of the line. Also, just because the deadline is Aug 1st doesn't mean that they have to wait until then to start reviewing applications and interviewing right? Jmo

The question is how many are likely to apply early admission for MCG. Because it's Georgia's only public school I would think a good amount. For that reason I would still want to apply reasonably early to get at the front of the line. Also, just because the deadline is Aug 1st doesn't mean that they have to wait until then to start reviewing applications and interviewing right? Jmo

The past couple years there have been about ~200 applicants each year, half which were interviewed and then 60-70 were accepted.

But thanks. I definitely wasn't waiting until August 1st, I mainly just mean June 15-20 vs 1st day application opens. But I'm working on it as fast as I can... Personal statement is a bitch haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, funny you say that about the personal statement. I just finished it yesterday thanks to a Communications professor that pointed me in the right direction and helped me fill in the holes. I think your fine with submitting anytime in June. Just be ready to turn the secondary around in no time. Good luck!

I was accepted early decision at IU. I think the EDP programs vary considerably from school to school, but IU had about 30 people apply EDP and interviewed them all on the same day, after the application deadline of course.

Don't worry about getting your AMCAS verified. As EDP, you are automatically put in the front of the line. Near the end of July, when verification times were running about two weeks I believe, I was verified in about 6 hours.

P.S. I haven't heard of anyone at the EDP interview day that didn't get in EDP.

The past couple years there have been about ~200 applicants each year, half which were interviewed and then 60-70 were accepted.

But thanks. I definitely wasn't waiting until August 1st, I mainly just mean June 15-20 vs 1st day application opens. But I'm working on it as fast as I can... Personal statement is a bitch haha.

Where did you find these numbers? They differ greatly from those published in the AAMC's 2016 MSAR. Considering that this post was written in 2010, it seems unlikely that the numbers would have decreased so much in just a few years (the AAMC reports a much, much lower number than 60-70 EDP matriculants at MCG). The AAMC has published the total number of EDP matriculants at MCG in 2016, but the MSAR frustratingly did not include information as to how many EDP applicants there were and how many of them were granted interviews.