Early Decision Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmjannie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying Early Decision to my state school. I am a reapplicant, and I have heard that Early Decision is only for very competitive students. The thing is, I know that I will go to my state school if accepted there, and if you are accepted Early Decision, you must go to that school. So, it makes sense from that standpoint. My graduate GPA is pretty good - 3.88, and my MCAT is 30. But, if I am not accepted Early Decision, does it hurt my application or slow down the process of getting accepted "the normal way" (rolling admissions) thereafter? I just want to make this next year off as stress-less as possible (well, I do have a wedding to plan...sigh) and there is no way better than knowing if I am in by October 15th. Any advice? Thanks all.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

kmjannie said:
I am thinking about applying Early Decision to my state school. I am a reapplicant, and I have heard that Early Decision is only for very competitive students. The thing is, I know that I will go to my state school if accepted there, and if you are accepted Early Decision, you must go to that school. So, it makes sense from that standpoint. My graduate GPA is pretty good - 3.88, and my MCAT is 30. But, if I am not accepted Early Decision, does it hurt my application or slow down the process of getting accepted "the normal way" (rolling admissions) thereafter? I just want to make this next year off as stress-less as possible (well, I do have a wedding to plan...sigh) and there is no way better than knowing if I am in by October 15th. Any advice? Thanks all.

Cheers.

This question is really better answered by an admissions officer at the school in question. The rules vary significantly from school-to-school, so any advice dispensed here would be hearsay and no more applicable (not knowing which state school) than would be flipping a coin.

Good luck!

- H

EDP is for those who want to be accepted at a certain school, but it is very difficult to be admitted through EDP. So, in the
eyes of the admissions committee, it is for the highly qualified applicants with respect to gpa and mcat, usually 3.8 total GPA
and all 10's on the mcat.
If you did apply EDP and was not accepted EDP, you may apply to other schools as well as be considered in the rolling phase
and would not in any way put you at a disadvantage.
No admissions decisions are made other than EDP prior to October 15--the date that all medical schools agree to wait for to
accept candidates. We typically interview will not interview for general until around Oct. 1.

Admissions Process Coordinator
Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
University of Iowa
100 MAB
Iowa City, IA 52242-1101

The decision really is whether or not you want to risk a late app for a shot at your top choice. Thats why EDP really filters out weak applicants and people that arent serious. You should ask them what your chances are. If youre unsure, I'd go the normal route. Oct 15th is really late to start applying.