Early Decision UMDNJ or UMaryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitchlucker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I used to post here a while back but just haven't been on in a while.

I have a 3.9 GPA (science and non-science) and a 32R MCAT (12, 10, 10).

I applied last cycle but didn't really have any luck at the schools I really wanted to go to. Most schools said my experience was below avg. I improved this over the last year and got a new LoR from a physician whom I had been talking to and working with. Other than that at interviews my personal statement came up as a strong point but other than that my application is pretty cookie cutter.

I currently am putting all my eggs in 1 basket applying early decision to either UMDNJ/RWJMS or UMaryland. If I don't get in I'm going to be applying to a couple of SUNY schools.

I have a job offer in Maryland and my gf lives in NJ so I could have residency in either state by the time I have to pay the tuition.

The biggest problems I had with last cycle is the schools I was getting interviews at were all ridiculously expensive (Hofstra, EVMS).

So, what do you guys think? Maryland or NJ? I will have to pay for an apt in MD but not in NJ (live with my gf).

The factors I'm looking at in order of decreasing importance.

Price
Grading Scheme (prefer P/F)
Research opportunities/match possibilities (I know you can get whatever match from wherever but would prefer a program with more matches to what I'm interested in [Derm, Ophthalmology, ObGyn])
Student life

NOTE: I would also be a re-app to Maryland. I got a 'hold' last year as an OOS and regular timeline. I have a new LoR from a physician and my director at work. I also have more clinical experience, shadowing and volunteer work so I think I would have a better shot as an instate and early decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Early Decision is for applicants who are above average for the school to which they are applying. Are you above average for either of these schools?

I might also note that neither of these schools took an OOS early decision applicant last year. This makes your decision even more risky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Early Decision is for applicants who are above average for the school to which they are applying. Are you above average for either of these schools?

I might also note that neither of these schools took an early decision applicant last year. This makes your decision even more risky.

I'm average for both schools. I figured it would be worth a shot but now that you bring that up I will re-consider.

Where did you find information about the schools rejecting all ED applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm average for both schools. I figured it would be worth a shot but now that you bring that up i will re-consider.

Where did you find information about the schools rejecting all ed applicants?
msar. I'm presuming you are OOS for both btw since you do not live there now.

Last edited by a moderator:
msar. I'm presuming you are OOS for both btw since you do not live there now.

Thanks for the pointers.

And yes, I'm OOS. I'm attempting to get IS for one of these schools by the time school would start.

Maybe I'll move and apply on the regular timeline and see what happens.