Early Start on Building A Cardiology Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baconshrimps

Has an opinion.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Evening,

Entering medical student here, very interested in Cardiology. Have been told by all my mentors (in CV research, in graduate school, cardiologists that I have shadowed, etc) that it will be important to build a strong repetoire for myself in the realm of cardiology, from day one of medical school.

Out of curiosity, is there any correlation whatsoever between the Cardiology & Heart Surgery USNWR ranking for a given hospital and the quality/reputation of their cardiology fellowship program? I'm not interested in being THE BEST cardiologist, but I would like to eventually train someplace where I have access to all the resources I can get my hands on and become the best possible cardiologist I am capable of becoming.

Also, and I realize that match lists are very subjective as people may choose certain IM residencies for less than objective criterion, such as family in the area, not moving to far away from a fiancee, personal interest in location, etc, but are there IM residency programs in particular that have a strong reputation for placing into cardiology, that I might want to pay note of on the match lists of the medical schools I am considering?

Thanks,
BaconShrimps

Members don't see this ad.