Earned a D in Chemistry for a second time. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tezzi

Reaction score

Help! I started my pre med coursework last semester, and the first course I took was general chemistry. Unfortunately, I did not put in nearly as much effort as I needed to achieve a high score in the class, so I finished the semester with a D+. I stupidly decided to re-take the chemistry class this semester, and I feel into the same ineffective study strategies. I am also ending this semester with a D+. I feel so very incapable and silly for earning such a low score consecutively, and now unfortunately I am not able to repeat chemistry at my school for a 3rd time, as my school limits class repeats to two time. As a result of not passing chemistry, I am not able to progress in the pre med sequence. I’ve lost my chance I’m devastated.

I am majoring in Global Public Health and Sociology, and it is my goal to provide holistic care as a physics to marginalized patients suffering from chronic diseases. Should I abandon this dream? Or should I just take a deep breath, pause, and strategize? What should I pursue as my next step? Should I try to petition to have another chance at taking chemistry? Or should I continue to make the best of my opportunities in my major and consider relaunching my pre med studies post graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can always take the course elsewhere. Before you do that, I would take another science course (since you say chemistry was your first), to make sure this isn't just a 'need to work harder at chemistry thing'.

One question to ask is that if you do well in the course somewhere else, are you able to continue with the chemistry sequence at your school. You say you 'didn't pass' chemistry. A D+ is still passing. Is it that you need a certain grade (like a C) to continue on?

I'll lay it out like this: You're not sunk. However, it's concerning that you did so poorly twice in a row in a basic course needed as a foundation of medical education. There is no reason to give up at this point though. One bad grade doesn't mean you don't have what it takes. However, if that trend continues on into other pre-med courses, you'll have to be prepared to apply your self-awareness to know when it's time to consider an alternative.

I'm putting the cart before the horse here a bit, but look into getting an MPH in the future as well. While not providing direct patient care, public health workers can still make a huge fulfilling impact on marginalized groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Talk to the prof & department head. You may be able to withdraw the credit for the second attempt at the course. This may leave a “W” on your transcript, but also give you an opportunity to hire a tutor and take the course a third time. Just a thought in case you cannot find an alternative university in which to take the course which has transferable course credits.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Try Khan Academy videos on Gen Chemistry. Also YouTube has many videos on Gen Chem.

You could go to another college/community college/university and do the entire sequence (part 1 and 2) there.

Sorry you're going through this. Might be a bad match between you and the course, but you need to ace your science. Try biology and physics and see how you hold up.

I think there are other great ways to get involved in healthcare. Medicine will be more hard science coming harder and faster.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you really need to think about what you want to do. You said that you didn't work nearly hard enough and got a D+. Then, knowing that repeating your mistake would be devastating to your career aspirations, you went and did the exact same thing. You aren't sunk, but there seems to be a disconnect on what you say you want and what you actually want.

Chemistry is a weed out class. It is meant to be hard but also a form of gatekeeping because it is going to get much harder. If you can't get the motivation to do well in your basic sciences, how are you going to keep and maintain the motivation when things actually get really hard?

Reactions: 3 users

Help! I started my pre med coursework last semester, and the first course I took was general chemistry. Unfortunately, I did not put in nearly as much effort as I needed to achieve a high score in the class, so I finished the semester with a D+. I stupidly decided to re-take the chemistry class this semester, and I feel into the same ineffective study strategies. I am also ending this semester with a D+. I feel so very incapable and silly for earning such a low score consecutively, and now unfortunately I am not able to repeat chemistry at my school for a 3rd time, as my school limits class repeats to two time. As a result of not passing chemistry, I am not able to progress in the pre med sequence. I’ve lost my chance I’m devastated.

I am majoring in Global Public Health and Sociology, and it is my goal to provide holistic care as a physics to marginalized patients suffering from chronic diseases. Should I abandon this dream? Or should I just take a deep breath, pause, and strategize? What should I pursue as my next step? Should I try to petition to have another chance at taking chemistry? Or should I continue to make the best of my opportunities in my major and consider relaunching my pre med studies post graduation?
If it's something that you're really passionate about, YES petition to re-take and do a thorough examination of your study strategies/learning strategies. Go to the academic counseling center at your school. Sign up for a tutor. Sometimes TAs can tutor for free in large classes as tends to be the case for weeders like gen chem and ochem. Don't let anyone tell you what you can and cannot do.

Good luck. :)

If you were one of those people who came on here saying "I failed because my cat died, and then I got depressed, and then I was in a breakup, and I was working a lot, and this professor sucked, blah blah..." then I'd say give up. But I noticed immediately that you have already clearly taken responsibility for what went wrong and you're asking for real solutions, to support a worthwhile dream. My vote is appeal for a 3rd try or take it at another school. Put in the real work. I spent HOURS in the chemistry tutoring lab and did all the practice problems in the textbook, even ones that weren't assigned. I attended nearly every lecture of all my classes during all my prereqs and sat up front. I gave it 110% because I know things don't come easy for me. Chem 1 is actually the roughest IMO. After a bit of stuggle in chem 1 (which I was already retaking after a withdrawal because I couldn't hack it the first go around) I got A's in Chem 2 and the orgos. It's a language, and a lot of math - things that get better with PRACTICE, not memorization. You can do it if you give it all you've got but be aware you have to walk a tightrope after that - adcoms can forgive a rough beginning but you gotta stick the landing. Whatever you choose, good luck!