Easiest M.D. schools to get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adocinthemaking123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
H

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many times have you taken the MCAT? Your GPA is decent and provided that your EC's are good also, you'd have a shot at many MD schools if you just raised your MCAT by a couple points.

Members don't see this ad :)
:bow: :laugh:

Ross-University-School-of-Medicine.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Eh, 28 is not good for OOS MD unless you are URM. Your best bet is FSU and maybe med school at your own university.

Eh, 28 is not good for OOS MD unless you are URM. Your best bet is FSU and maybe med school at your own university.

There's a whole thread full of "27-29 MCAT with interviews" of people who would beg to differ. He has a solid GPA. He has a fair shot.

Reactions: 1 users
Table 24 dude...a 3.7/28 has poor odds. Dont base your argument on a handful of people reporting success when you have access to the population data

There's a whole thread full of "27-29 MCAT with interviews" of people who would beg to differ. He has a solid GPA. He has a fair shot.

Reactions: 10 users
Your best bet is FSU and maybe med school at your own university.

Reactions: 1 user
FSU, FIU, FAU, UCF, USF are going to be your best bet schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Table 24 dude...a 3.7/28 has poor odds. Dont base your argument on a handful of people reporting success when you have access to the population data
45% is poor odds? Welcome to SDN, where anything less than 100% is considered a fail.

Reactions: 5 users
the 3rd time I got a 28...
What is your average MCAT over all attempts?

What is your race/ethnicity? Consult AMCAS table 25 (just Google it and you'll find the link) and if you think the odds are acceptable. A quick and dirty from my perspective figuring that your first and second MCAT attempts were < 28 and that you are white and considering that a 3.8 is closer to 3.7 than to 4.0, I come up up a 44% chance of someone with a 3.6-4.0/24-29 being admitted to at least one MD school. I think that just looking at the 3.8-4.0/27-29 cell in this case overestimates the OP's chances.

Reactions: 5 users
FSU Med entering 2014 - Average MCAT : 27, Average GPA 3.6
Prob your best shot considering you will be in state.

For everyone saying FSU, yes FSU statistically will be OP’s best shot. But FSU is mission-based as well and if OP doesn’t fit FSU’s mission then it will still be fairly difficult. OP you should just apply everywhere in-state (Miami, UF and USF will be very-slim), then DO.

Depends a lot on your situation - an easy MD school to get into for some will not be as easy as others. It sounds like your best options are going to be the Florida schools, many of whom favor in-state applicants.

45% is poor odds? Welcome to SDN, where anything less than 100% is considered a fail.

I get a feeling that you are having an inner monologue o_O

45%- Great odds when you're applying for something that will affect the rest of your life.
45%-Terrible grade on your art history 101 exam that will sink all your hopes and aspirations for medical school.

It can't be both, and 45% certainly isn't a good shot, but everything is always relative

The good thing about being a pessimist is you're either right or pleasantly surprised

What is your average MCAT over all attempts?

What is your race/ethnicity? Consult AMCAS table 25 (just Google it and you'll find the link) and if you think the odds are acceptable. A quick and dirty from my perspective figuring that your first and second MCAT attempts were < 28 and that you are white and considering that a 3.8 is closer to 3.7 than to 4.0, I come up up a 44% chance of someone with a 3.6-4.0/24-29 being admitted to at least one MD school. I think that just looking at the 3.8-4.0/27-29 cell in this case overestimates the OP's chances.

If you
45%- Great odds when you're applying for something that will affect the rest of your life.
45%-Terrible grade on your art history 101 exam that will sink all your hopes and aspirations for medical school.

It can't be both, and 45% certainly isn't a good shot, but everything is always relative

The good thing about being a pessimist is you're either right or pleasantly surprised

If you don't mind what went into the "quick in dirty on your part" anything public you can share a link or anything to or is this all just off the record private type info like I suspect?

OP your best chance are your state schools. The 3 mcat attempts is definitely no small thing but you aren't completely out of luck apply this cycle and if you don't get in come back and then you can start thinking about what the plan should be

Um, OP will likely have to apply to 20+ schools to have those odds. That alone is expensive (already breaking two grand easily), plus you have to combine that with traveling and other expenses related to interviews. Plus that's essentially a year wasted (or at least not fully utilized) if OP doesn't get in. So yes, wagering up all that money for odds not in your favor is pretty poor.

I get a feeling that you are having an inner monologue o_O

Lol very funny. Considering that all it takes is one acceptance, an almost 50/50 shot seems like great odds to me. I had a 15% shot of getting into my undergrad institution. I don't really see the point of being so pessimistic about everything. I'm sure OP is well aware that his stats are less than ideal. He asked what med schools would give him the best odds given his stats, not for people to jump down his throats and tell him to consider pizza delivery instead.

He asked what med schools would give him the best odds given his stats, not for people to jump down his throats and tell him to consider pizza delivery instead.

I think some people on the pre-osteo board would be a wee bit offended by you comparing going to DO school to delivering pizzas. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Lol very funny. Considering that all it takes is one acceptance, an almost 50/50 shot seems like great odds to me. I had a 15% shot of getting into my undergrad institution. I don't really see the point of being so pessimistic about everything. I'm sure OP is well aware that his stats are less than ideal. He asked what med schools would give him the best odds given his stats, not for people to jump down his throats and tell him to consider pizza delivery instead.
That's a 45% chance of being accepted to 1 or more med schools and a 55% chance of being accepted to no med schools, despite applying to many. You seem to be under the impression that it is a 45% chance of being accepted at each school, which is certainly not the case.

Reactions: 3 users
I think some people on the pre-osteo board would be a wee bit offended by you comparing going to DO school to delivering pizzas. ;)

Lol that was geared towards the guy who posted the picture of Ross... that's close enough to pizza delivery right?

Last edited:
That's a 45% chance of being accepted to 1 or more med schools and a 55% chance of being accepted to no med schools, despite applying to many. You seem to be under the impression that it is a 45% chance of being accepted at each school, which is certainly not the case.

I specifically wrote "all it takes is one acceptance." I was not equating it to being a 45% chance of getting at accepted each school. That would be absurd.

Lol I'm applying with like a 3.4 sGPA and I am very hopeful...

I specifically wrote "all it takes is one acceptance." I was not equating it to being a 45% chance of getting at accepted each school. That would be absurd.
Right, but then you compared it to you having a 15% chance of getting into your undergrad, which isn't comparable. Most of the med schools I applied to only interviewed about 15% of applicants, and accepted far fewer.

Right, but then you compared it to you having a 15% chance of getting into your undergrad, which isn't comparable. Most of the med schools I applied to only interviewed about 15% of applicants, and accepted far fewer.

Fair enough. Either way, the purpose of these boards are to build people up, not shatter their hopes and dreams. If OP had a 2.75 GPA and a 25 MCAT, I would understand the need to bluntly tell him that he has no chance. But posting a picture of Ross and mocking him when he has a 3.8 and a 28 just seems to be borderline bullying to me. Just my opinion, of course.

FSU, FIU, FAU, UCF, USF are going to be your best bet schools.
This. And you should probably accept DO because you are a good canidate for DO schools. But in-state is going to be your best bet. Maybe some private schools. If you include DO then you have good shot at becoming a physician Stats-wise

Fair enough. Either way, the purpose of these boards are to build people up, not shatter their hopes and dreams. If OP had a 2.75 GPA and a 25 MCAT, I would understand the need to bluntly tell him that he has no chance. But posting a picture of Ross and mocking him when he has a 3.8 and a 28 just seems to be borderline bullying to me. Just my opinion, of course.
I think the purpose of these boards is to help people have the best shot at getting into med school, which requires a realistic view of their odds so they know where to apply. "Building people up" sounds a lot like making people overly confident in their app so they don't apply to as many or as many of the right schools as they need to, or they apply with a 25 MCAT instead of retaking it.
I agree that this poster has a shot, but given that they are statistically more likely to not be accepted, they should apply to a lot of schools (primarily in-state and lower tier private) and should also apply to DO schools.

(I do agree that some of the responses have been a bit extreme.)

Of course, this 45% stat isn't just random chance. It is at least partially under the control of the applicant - the medical schools aren't just sitting there scratching lottery cards to determine who will come to their school.

I did a weighted average of 4 cells of Table 25 incorporating the outcomes for all white applicants with MCAT at or slightly below the OPs MCAT score and at or slightly below the OPs GPA, or slightly below both MCAT and GPA. It is weighted toward the higher scores as those applicants are more numerous and those applicants have better outcomes, too, so if anything it might be overly optimistic because the OP is right on the lower edge of both GPA and MCAT categories.

Hey guys thanks for the input! Yes, I will be applying to all Florida M.D. schools and all Florida D.O. schools. I am well aware that my stats are better for D.O. than M.D. Are there any out of state M.D. schools that have lower MCAT stat averages??

Oh, and btw I am hispanic if that makes any difference! I will do my best to kill it in the secondaries and interviews to see what happens!

Hey guys thanks for the input! Yes, I will be applying to all Florida M.D. schools and all Florida D.O. schools. I am well aware that my stats are better for D.O. than M.D. Are there any out of state M.D. schools that have lower MCAT stat averages??

Oh, and btw I am hispanic if that makes any difference! I will do my best to kill it in the secondaries and interviews to see what happens!
Purchase a subscription to MSAR. There you can sort MD schools by MCAT range (10th-90th percentile) and the school pages will show median MCAT of accepted students.

Edit: Be sure to also look at % of in-state versus out-of-state applicants that are interviewed and that matriculate. State schools tend to strongly favor in-state applicants, while private schools are less skewed.

If you really do identity as Hispanic (culture, language), and you can sell yourself as a multi-diverse/cultural person, then I think you have an alright shot at FIU. They are pretty mission based on working with diverse communities (esp. of course, the Latin American city of Miami)

jeez, people are being a little pessimistic today. a 3.8/28 certainly warrants at least applying to MD schools, with the understanding that DO is more likely. although it would definitely be more helpful if we knew your other 2 scores...

OP, get the MSAR. your best chances for MD will be with your in-state schools and the brand new MD schools. and if you do represent an minority group underrepresented in medicine (mexican/puerto rican), your chances are much better than posters itt have been letting on

Numbers aren't everything... I know someone who got into UF with a 27 MCAT this year. Keep your head up :)

No no no no no

These people getting in with super low numbers have something else really valued going for them like extremely impressive community involvement, leadership, military or peace c service, or lots of melanin in their skin. It is NOT evidence that people with the typical premed package and a 27/28 should have high hopes

No no no no no

These people getting in with super low numbers have something else really valued going for them like extremely impressive community involvement, leadership, military or peace c service, or lots of melanin in their skin. It is NOT evidence that people with the typical premed package and a 27/28 should have high hopes

melanin LOL

Bruh chill, as a Florida resident he has 7 medical schools to apply to which being a resident boosts his chances for. 2 are DO (yes not MD but he's open to DO) for which he fits perfectly with his stats. FSU is an MD that is considerably within reach.

Point is there's so much pessimism here - when there is hope.