Easiest state(s) to get licensed?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhD 4 Me Plz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am working on licensure. What is the easiest state to get licensed in that does not require the EPPP part 2? Any help is much appreciated! The information I am finding appears to be out of date.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably one of the states that doesn't require a postdoc, lets you take the EPPP before graduation (a couple used to allow this - not sure about current day), and has a state exam that is brief/open book/online. I can think of a couple like this.

The rest will be subjective based on required course work, types of supervised hours etc, matched to what you have done/will do.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure, but Arizona is where a lot of the people working in VA's get licensed initially. Not sure about step 2 bc I don't live there, but know a few peeps who have been licensed there.

If you are super sure you only want to ever work in the VA, go for Kansas, cheap and easy. A lot of my past VA colleagues were licensed there. However, I'd say 70% of my close friends and colleagues who worked in the VA, no longer do. So, I always advise people to make sure they can be licensed in the states in which they want to live. It's much better to put the work in on the front end, then be denied years from now.

Reactions: 5 users
[email protected]
I did Colorado. It was a piece of cake. However, I'm going back and doing my home state and it is an absolute nightmare. I had to get a background check, had to get a release of information form NOTARIZED in the midst of a pandemic, had to enter every single one of my courses and what category they fall under (i.e., assessment and diagnosis, biological bases of behavior, etc.), submit online attestations of hours to be signed by my training directors, and my PhD training director had to verify my completion of the program. Not to mention, one of my letter writer's letter got lost 3 times, and they were initially asking for the letters to be snail-mailed (again, in the midst of the pandemic!). Now that all of that is submitted, I am waiting to receive the honor of taking their oral and jurisprudence exams. I sort of wish I had done this during post-doc year but the positive thing is that I have been able to go at my own pace with the harder, more expensive application. Price really is an important consideration when you are still in training.

Reactions: 1 user
I did Colorado as well because it's online and super easy, but it does require postdoc hours. Some of my cohortmates in postdoc did Virginia, no postdoc required.

[email protected]
I did Colorado. It was a piece of cake. However, I'm going back and doing my home state and it is an absolute nightmare. I had to get a background check, had to get a release of information form NOTARIZED in the midst of a pandemic, had to enter every single one of my courses and what category they fall under (i.e., assessment and diagnosis, biological bases of behavior, etc.), submit online attestations of hours to be signed by my training directors, and my PhD training director had to verify my completion of the program. Not to mention, one of my letter writer's letter got lost 3 times, and they were initially asking for the letters to be snail-mailed (again, in the midst of the pandemic!). Now that all of that is submitted, I am waiting to receive the honor of taking their oral and jurisprudence exams. I sort of wish I had done this during post-doc year but the positive thing is that I have been able to go at my own pace with the harder, more expensive application. Price really is an important consideration when you are still in training.

$50 says you're talking about New Jersey.

I'm not sure, but Arizona is where a lot of the people working in VA's get licensed initially. Not sure about step 2 bc I don't live there, but know a few peeps who have been licensed there.
AZ has adopted EPPP part II requirement.

"ENHANCED EPPP - CURRENT STATUS FOR ARIZONA APPLICANTS

The Board has voted to adopt the enhanced EPPP, with the anticipated adoption date of November 1, 2020. On July 9, 2020, the Board clarified the application of the adoption date for the Enhanced EPPP. Please see the matrix in the document, "Who Is Required to Take the Enhanced EPPP (Parts 1 & 2)?" to determine if you will be authorized to sit for the EPPP (Part 1 only) or the Enhanced EPPP (Parts 1 & 2)."

• Wow
Virginia was pretty easy, no part II and no formal postdoc required. I'm not sure how it compares cost-wise.

No postdoc requirements in WA, but the DOH takes forever to do anything.
Okay, I'm looking into WA. Do you recall what you had to do with the professional reference form? Did each of your references have to complete one and mail it to the DOH? I am hoping to do it all virtually.

Okay, I'm looking into WA. Do you recall what you had to do with the professional reference form? Did each of your references have to complete one and mail it to the DOH? I am hoping to do it all virtually.

I believe they have to be mailed in because the DOH doesn't have a standard inbox for receiving that information. Call customer service to be sure though. They take forever to do things, but I have always had pleasant experience talking with their customer service reps.