Ebook reader/Tablet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby_Normal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been debating whether it would be worthwhile to invest in an ebook reader/tablet. A quick scan of prices suggested to me that ebooks aren't actually that cheap compared to textbooks (particularly when you can get the latter used), but physical books also weigh a fair amount and take up space...

So anyway, I was wondering how those useful those of you with tablets/readers have found them.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a Kindle 3 for a little over a year now, and LOVE it. But I would never use it for a textbook; eBooks are currently best for long-form reading (like a novel) and not for textbooks. There are too many formatting and navigation issues. I expect this to be resolved in few years, but I would recommend against it for now.

I can't speak for tablets, but I wouldn't want to read an illuminated screen for a textbook.

I have the newest Kindle (non-touch version) and it's great for reading novels. But I would never ever ever use it for textbook reading. I wouldn't use ebooks for textbooks ever. For me, it's just not the same and I don't absorb the information as well. There is something about having the physical book in your hands/on a table when you are reading. Plus you can't highlight as easily on an ebook.

Members don't see this ad :)
I buy any review book I can for kindle and then access it from my iPad, I love that I don't have to carry around a bunch of books!

i use a tablet (non-Pad to save $$$) all i use it for is reading ebooks and it's good, not perfect. You can't replace the feel of a textbook and the ease of turning pages, but lugging 4-5 texts is reason enough to switch.

Thanks for your feedback. I think for now I'll stick with actual paper books...I like being able to annotate in the margins. Most of the way through first year, I've rarely had to carry that many books on any given day (if I'm studying at school, I generally choose one or two areas to focus on and bring only materials for that...plus a number of texts these days come with complementary access online). If that changes (or if a tablet with my dream combination of features appears/drops in price) I will reconsider.

I hate carrying books around, so I love Kindle books. They're also usually cheaper than the paper books. But one really big disadvantage (as someone above pointed out) is that you can't resell them. If you really like annotating, stick with paper. I don't annotate, only highlight, so Kindle books work fine for me.

I'd still recommend a Kindle if you like leisure reading. :]