EC List for Rising Junior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedssurgtobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody could somewhat evaluate my EC list to see if I am on track in that area. I currently have a 3.8 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA, but hoping to raise both of those. Thanks!

- Hospice Volunteer: I have been volunteering at school and will be volunteering with a pediatric hospice program this summer and then next winter break.
- Shadowing: Have shadowed a pediatric surgeon and will hopefully be shadowing an orthopedic surgeon, cardiologist, and a family medicine doctor.
- Service Trip to Nicaragua: Went this past Spring Break and will be going the next two spring breaks and will be the Trip Leader next year (plan trip, select team, etc.) and President my senior year
- Athletic Trainer: Will be starting in the fall
- Head Start: Was a volunteer this past semester and will be the TA for a seminar for the course in the fall and hopefully the Spring
- Research: Starting my own project in the fall with the hopes of being published, which seems very possible due to the project timeline discussed with my mentor
- Tour Guide
- Camp Counselor for two years
- University Honors: Has opened me up to various opportunities
- Leadership positions on 1 or 2 other student organizations

Anything that I should add or focus on? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no experiences in helping admission committees, but I'll chime in.

Clinical and nonclinical volunteering, shadowing, and leadership sound good to me. When you say various opportunities from University Honors, what are they?

Have you thought of doing projects or even research in Nicaragua since you already have a group as well as connections? Maybe we can expand on that experience, because otherwise adcoms will see that as pretty much insignificant activity.

Overall, they look decent, but nothing stands out per se. What are your passions and what do you think makes you unique? You might need to differentiate yourself from others who also did TA, research, volunteer, leadership, and service trips.

I have no experiences in helping admission committees, but I'll chime in.

Clinical and nonclinical volunteering, shadowing, and leadership sound good to me. When you say various opportunities from University Honors, what are they?

Have you thought of doing projects or even research in Nicaragua since you already have a group as well as connections? Maybe we can expand on that experience, because otherwise adcoms will see that as pretty much insignificant activity.

Overall, they look decent, but nothing stands out per se. What are your passions and what do you think makes you unique? You might need to differentiate yourself from others who also did TA, research, volunteer, leadership, and service trips.

Why do you say that Nicaragua is insignificant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you say that Nicaragua is insignificant?

The trip is like...only 1-2 weeks. That seems pretty insignificant.

Now if his organization does tons of other things that pertains to Nicaragua, such as having an established school or clinic that they keep updated with, that may be different.

OP, you look good.

You are very involved in have a lot of leadership.

The research next year will really strengthen your application.

If you keep all of this up and also do some hospital volunteering until the time you apply you should be great!

Looks great! Don't overextend yourself..you're fine.

I was just wondering if anybody could somewhat evaluate my EC list to see if I am on track in that area. I currently have a 3.8 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA, but hoping to raise both of those. Thanks!

- Hospice Volunteer: I have been volunteering at school and will be volunteering with a pediatric hospice program this summer and then next winter break.
- Shadowing: Have shadowed a pediatric surgeon and will hopefully be shadowing an orthopedic surgeon, cardiologist, and a family medicine doctor.
- Service Trip to Nicaragua: Went this past Spring Break and will be going the next two spring breaks and will be the Trip Leader next year (plan trip, select team, etc.) and President my senior year
- Athletic Trainer: Will be starting in the fall
- Head Start: Was a volunteer this past semester and will be the TA for a seminar for the course in the fall and hopefully the Spring
- Research: Starting my own project in the fall with the hopes of being published, which seems very possible due to the project timeline discussed with my mentor
- Tour Guide
- Camp Counselor for two years
- University Honors: Has opened me up to various opportunities
- Leadership positions on 1 or 2 other student organizations

Anything that I should add or focus on? Thanks!

Also, try to maintain long term commitments with some of the activities you've listed, and i think you're golden

Thanks everybody for your responses! I definitely appreciate it!

As pertaining to Nicaragua, the organization is Nicaraguan Orphan Fund and we do a lot at our school during the academic year to fundraise for our trip and the organization that we work with so it isn't just the trip that I am involved with.

I have been involved with a few things since freshmen year, but the majority came sophomore year.

Thanks again for the input!