ECONOMY 101. Simple and eye-opening!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahaha. I love conspiracy theory arguments. This is obviously 100% accurate. I have a video of bigfoot confirming it.

Members don't see this ad.

BINGO!

Give up, guys. This troll's been to nearly every specialty forum with equally heated glennbeckitude. Just check the post history.

This video shows that not even the Inspector General of the Fed knows what transactions the Fed is involved with. In a free society, I think this is appalling -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqM2tFOxLQ&feature=related

Furthermore, Allan Greenspan said that the Fed is above the Law of the Land...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvuBETuwn0

Members don't see this ad :)
BINGO!

Give up, guys. This troll's been to nearly every specialty forum with equally heated glennbeckitude. Just check the post history.

What is amazing -- not to say hilarious --is that you most likely have nothing more important to do than to follow my posts! At least I am original for I think for myself and engage in intelligent discussions!

As I said, please leave your adolescent behavior behind and grow up. This is a free society and you don't own this forum. Your intolerance is very clear! You must be a very unhappy person.

Bigotry and intolerance, silenced by argument, endeavors to silence by persecution -- in old days by fire and sword --- in modern days by the tongue.
Charles Simmons

"
Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face"
as4.gif
Thomas Sowell quote

Last edited:
What is amazing -- not to say hilarious --is that you most likely have nothing more important to do than to follow my posts! At least I am original for I think for myself and engage in intelligent discussions!

As I said, please leave your adolescent behavior behind and grow up. This is a free society and you don't own this forum. Your intolerance is very clear! You must be a very unhappy person.

Bigotry and intolerance, silenced by argument, endeavors to silence by persecution -- in old days by fire and sword --- in modern days by the tongue.
Charles Simmons

“
Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face”
as4.gif
Thomas Sowell quote

I'm calling modified SDN's Godwin's Law on this one.

You've just happened to post in every forum I read. I read pre-allo, Allo, pre-vet, vet, all, and tech.

And disagreement is far from bigotry.

Last edited:
You've just happened to post in every forum I read. I read pre-allo, Allo, pre-vet, vet, all, and tech.

And disagreement is far from bigotry.

...nice try but not an intelligent one!

You can't possibly disagree with someone without offering a counter-argument.

...nice try but not an intelligent one!

You can't possibly disagree with someone without offering a counter-argument.

I offered a counter-argument on your first post. Then a less sincere one on your second. Every time someone's tried, you've hopped up and down and yelled

K9VET said:
This is intolerance. Bigotry.

If you want a sincere debate, start 1 thread in the correct forum and be gracious when criticized.

Should have sold gold today...

/me likes how this guy pretends to be a taxpayer.

Oh. So you should be able to easily find me some quotes.

Straight from my macroecon text: "As Ben Bernanke, the chairman of the Fed, has indicated, what we may be witnessing is the calm before the storm" (p 593, Blanchard, 2007).

Am I supposed to be impressed or something? Because somehow, I'm just not . . . you must have a large "e-penis" too, huh?

So far ever "econ" major posting in here has bene largely full of ****, spouting more of the keynesian view, which has invaded our colleges and universities.

And finally your last argument is fallacy.

Kind of weak sauce for someone who is supposedly is "so smart" :rolleyes:

What makes you think I was trying to impress you? Oh, some random person online isn't impressed by me? Oh, I'm so disappointed? I was merely posting facts. I'm an econ major at a school that's currently ranked number one in economics. What are some of your economics credentials?

Exactly what have I said that runs contrary to popular contemporary economic thought? Oh, right, you think you know better than popular economic thought, don't ya? Because you're so smart, your opinion of economic thought is more valid than the professors who teach it at universities. Mm hmm... :rolleyes:

My last argument isn't a fallacy - really, who do you think you are to talk crap about Ben Bernanke? What do you know about economics? Nothing.

...I'm an econ major at a school that's currently ranked number one in economics. What are some of your economics credentials? ....

...Because you're so smart, your opinion of economic thought is more valid than the professors who teach it at universities. Mm hmm...
:rolleyes:

Reading your posts I find it is tragic that you believe that academia is infallible and just because you pay thousands and thousands of Dollars for an "education" in a top ranked college, it will make you or any professor "THE" authority in a subject.

All these ranks of "best" school use very subjective scoring system. Einstein was a thinker and most of his understanding of physics came from self-studying and his own observations - not from a self proclaimed "Ivy league" school or "expert" mentor in the world. If you ever get into medical school you will soon realize that there is a major difference between having a diploma hanging on your wall and being a true, dedicated, talented doctor.

But you are just very young…

Life hasn't punched you on the face yet. The hits will come, I assure you. You "worship" Bernanke and the Fed. Wait until you get out of school with the loads of debt you accumulated to pay for your "brilliant" education. You are going to work 16 hours a day (or more). Then, realize that 30% of those hours you will be a slave to the same government you try to defend – slave to pay the unconstitutional taxes it will demand back. Then, if you are man enough to start a family you'll feel your balls being squeezed even harder for you to survive: mortgage for a home that -- thanks to the government and the Fed -- is worth less than you paid for it. Then liability, insurance. Then come children and day-care; two cars, savings for vacation; college, gas, clothing, diapers; you'll give money to a SS that is totally bankrupt (like the nation) and will have to figure out how to retire on a fixed, already stretched income. Even if you can set some money aside for your 401K - well - look at what happened to the stock market after the crisis...

But go ahead and worship your expensive, brilliant education and the outstanding economic thoughts of our professors – the same ones that end up as Fed Chairmen. I hope that one day you will wake up to the fact you're a slave to this "outstanding" monetary system run by the intellectuals that are making money out of thin air plus out of your voluntary slavery! So much for a top-ranked education! Our Founders did not attend UCLA, Cornell or Upenn, but they were surely more educated than we are; above anything else – they knew what freedom and liberty were all about. Our "modern" generation is totally dumb!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
...I'm an econ major at a school that's currently ranked number one in economics. What are some of your economics credentials? ....

...Because you're so smart, your opinion of economic thought is more valid than the professors who teach it at universities. Mm hmm...

Reading your posts I find it is tragic that you believe that academia is infallible and just because you pay thousands and thousands of Dollars for an "education" in a top ranked college, it will make you or any professor "THE" authority in a subject.

All these ranks of "best" school use very subjective scoring system. Einstein was a thinker and most of his understanding of physics came from self-studying and his own observations - not from a self proclaimed "Ivy league" school or "expert" mentor in the world. If you ever get into medical school you will soon realize that there is a major difference between having a diploma hanging on your wall and being a true, dedicated, talented doctor.

Life hasn't punched you on the face yet. The hits will come, I assure you. You "worship" Bernanke and the Fed. Wait until you get out of school with the loads of debt you accumulated to pay for your "brilliant" education. You are going to work 16 hours a day (or more). Then, realize that 30% of those hours you will be a slave to the same government you try to defend – slave to pay the unconstitutional taxes it will demand back. Then, if you are man enough to start a family you'll feel your balls being squeezed even harder for you to survive: mortgage for a home that -- thanks to the government and the Fed -- is worth less than you paid for it. Then liability, insurance. Then come children and day-care; two cars, savings for vacation; college, gas, clothing, diapers; you'll give money to a SS that is totally bankrupt (like the nation) and will have to figure out how to retire on a fixed, already stretched income. Even if you can set some money aside for your 401K - well - look at what happened to the stock market after the crisis...

But go ahead and worship your expensive, brilliant education and the outstanding economic thoughts of our professors – the same ones that end up as Fed Chairmen. I hope that one day you will wake up to the fact you're a slave to this "outstanding" monetary system run by the intellectuals that are making money out of thin air plus out of your voluntary slavery! So much for a top-ranked education! Our Founders did not attend UCLA, Cornell or Upenn, but they were surely more educated than we are; above anything else – they knew what freedom and liberty were all about. Our "modern" generation is totally dumb!

1. I pay almost nothing for my education because of financial aid
2. I've been punched in the face by life quite a bit growing up in a low-income, single parent household
3. Your calculations are pathetic. Even with a $200k loan at 6.8% interest, that's only $1.5k a month, which would be easy with a doctor salary of $20k/month or more (let's say $9k after tax, SS, medicare, and saving for retirement). And no, doctors don't work 16 hours a day :laugh:
4. Funny you mention Einstein - he taught at my school too.

All these ranks of “best” school use very subjective scoring system. Einstein was a thinker and most of his understanding of physics came from self-studying and his own observations - not from a self proclaimed "Ivy league" school or “expert” mentor in the world. If you ever get into medical school you will soon realize that there is a major difference between having a diploma hanging on your wall and being a true, dedicated, talented doctor.

Life hasn’t punched you on the face yet. The hits will come, I assure you. You “worship” Bernanke and the Fed. Wait until you get out of school with the loads of debt you accumulated to pay for your “brilliant” education. You are going to work 16 hours a day (or more). Then, realize that 30% of those hours you will be a slave to the same government you try to defend – slave to pay the unconstitutional taxes it will demand back. Then, if you are man enough to start a family you’ll feel your balls being squeezed even harder for you to survive: mortgage for a home that -- thanks to the government and the Fed -- is worth less than you paid for it. Then liability, insurance. Then come children and day-care; two cars, savings for vacation; college, gas, clothing, diapers; you'll give money to a SS that is totally bankrupt (like the nation) and will have to figure out how to retire on a fixed, already stretched income. Even if you can set some money aside for your 401K - well - look at what happened to the stock market after the crisis...

But go ahead and worship your expensive, brilliant education and the outstanding economic thoughts of our professors – the same ones that end up as Fed Chairmen. I hope that one day you will wake up to the fact you’re a slave to this “outstanding” monetary system run by the intellectuals that are making money out of thin air plus out of your voluntary slavery! So much for a top-ranked education! Our Founders did not attend UCLA, Cornell or Upenn, but they were surely more educated than we are; above anything else – they knew what freedom and liberty were all about. Our “modern” generation is totally dumb!

Where is the thread lock? :lock::lock::lock::lock::lock::shrug:

1. I pay almost nothing for my education because of financial aid
2. I've been punched in the face by life quite a bit growing up in a low-income, single parent household
3. Your calculations are pathetic. Even with a $200k loan at 6.8% interest, that's only $1.5k a month, which would be easy with a doctor salary of $20k/month or more (let's say $9k after tax, SS, medicare, and saving for retirement). And no, doctors don't work 16 hours a day :laugh:
4. Funny you mention Einstein - he taught at my school too.

1. You pay nothing because tax-payers are robbed by the government, so it can provide you with financial aid for your "Ivy league" education. So, basically the industrious is providing for you via unconstitutional taxes (I hope you know the income tax is not constitutional). They are not teaching you this in your wonderful macroeconomics class, but NOTHING comes for free in this world. Read the "theory of money and credit" by Mises.

2. Sorry, I can't help you in this regard. My mom never slept around with others. She lived in times of great decency and moral values. And my father was very responsible – he took care of all of us (his 4 kids). And by the way --- I could not go to college as a young adult because my family could not afford it. I worked in restaurants, saved and then went abroad to pay for a more affordable vet education. It is quite rewarding to feel truly financially independent. I also worked in medical schools for 12 years. I know very well the dynamics of the academic environment in the US: 85% of the professors do the work of the remaining 15%. What a waste of good tax-payers money! So, the "Ivy league" thing does not impress me. It is just all politics to deceive the naïve.

3. What world do you live in? Beverly Hills? I know many doctors (especially residents) who still do work 16h a day. Also, your salary projection does not correspond to the salary reality of 90% of the US population. And -- not all doctors make as much as you think they make. Here in PA, surgeons are quitting because liability is so high that being a surgeon is not worth the money, stress and hassle.

4. Yeah, Einstein taught at your school AFTER he became famous for his theories. Your super-college did not make him a star. He made himself through his talents and he was already a star before he went into academia. Have a grip - your "Ivy-league" education is no better than any other pre-med education anywhere in this country. Success depends on your efforts, not on where you get your diploma from….

....well...you're still wet behind the ears... you'll learn one day...

Cheers!

1. You pay nothing because tax-payers are robbed by the government, so it can provide you with financial aid for your “Ivy league” education. So, basically the industrious is providing for you via unconstitutional taxes (I hope you know the income tax is not constitutional). They are not teaching you this in your wonderful macroeconomics class, but NOTHING comes for free in this world. Read the “theory of money and credit” by Mises.

2. Sorry, I can’t help you in this regard. My mom never slept around with others. She lived in times of great decency and moral values. And my father was very responsible – he took care of all of us (his 4 kids). And by the way --- I could not go to college as a young adult because my family could not afford it. I worked in restaurants, saved and then went abroad to pay for a more affordable vet education. It is quite rewarding to feel truly financially independent. I also worked in medical schools for 12 years. I know very well the dynamics of the academic environment in the US: 85% of the professors do the work of the remaining 15%. What a waste of good tax-payers money! So, the “Ivy league” thing does not impress me. It is just all politics to deceive the naïve.

3. What world do you live in? Beverly Hills? I know many doctors (especially residents) who still do work 16h a day. Also, your salary projection does not correspond to the salary reality of 90% of the US population. And -- not all doctors make as much as you think they make. Here in PA, surgeons are quitting because liability is so high that being a surgeon is not worth the money, stress and hassle.

4. Yeah, Einstein taught at your school AFTER he became famous for his theories. Your super-college did not make him a star. He made himself through his talents and he was already a star before he went into academia. Have a grip - your “Ivy-league” education is no better than any other pre-med education anywhere in this country. Success depends on your efforts, not on where you get your diploma from….

....well...you’re still wet behind the ears... you'll learn one day...

Cheers!

Troll.

Last edited:

Last edited:
You should also remember that interest accumulates while you are in school, so basically after those 4 years of medical school, by the time you graduate you already owe almost 5 years worth of education debt. Then when you consider the years of residency you are in (making less than a teacher), you will barely have enough money after expenses to just pay the interest you owe each year on your debt (residency minimum 3 years).

Subsidized loans are nice.

Last edited:

2. Sorry, I can’t help you in this regard. My mom never slept around with others. She lived in times of great decency and moral values. And my father was very responsible – he took care of all of us (his 4 kids). And by the way --- I could not go to college as a young adult because my family could not afford it. I worked in restaurants, saved and then went abroad to pay for a more affordable vet education. It is quite rewarding to feel truly financially independent. I also worked in medical schools for 12 years. I know very well the dynamics of the academic environment in the US: 85% of the professors do the work of the remaining 15%. What a waste of good tax-payers money! So, the “Ivy league” thing does not impress me. It is just all politics to deceive the naïve.

did you seriously imply that randombetch's mother is promiscuous?

if you showed up at my door and said that i would beat you to a pulp.

As has been pointed out earlier, there simply is not enough gold in the world.

If you collected all the gold ever mined in history, it would only fill a cube 60ft x 60ft x 60ft. This is only worth a few trillion dollars, at current prices, which is hardly enough to back all currency in circulation.

I find the argument to return to the gold standard less than compelling.

If you collected all the gold ever mined in history, it would only fill a cube 60ft x 60ft x 60ft. This is only worth a few trillion dollars, at current prices, which is hardly enough to back all currency in circulation.

Perhaps we could import from Warcraft? Five peons per mine usually does the trick.

As I said before... [It is a fallacy to believe that we need to expand the money supply to support economic growth. Falling prices is the mechanism by which the same quantity of money can purchase greater quantity and quality of goods over time. If you look at one particular sector, electronics/computers, you see price deflation occurring all the time, and that industry is booming = consumers buy more, better quality products for less money and the industry still profits.]

If quantity is the issue let's have bananas for currency. For 100 years or more we've been fed "economics" which bankers and government want us to believe is great! The result is the Great Depression, recessions, wars, economic fascism; and now what they are trying to paint as just a bad recession. Drive around in Detroit and get a grip for what is going to spread all over the country...

Again - read the "Theory of Money and Credit" by Mises

Straight from my macroecon text: "As Ben Bernanke, the chairman of the Fed, has indicated, what we may be witnessing is the calm before the storm" (p 593, Blanchard, 2007).

Weak. That's not a quote from Bernake predicting the crisis we have today. Try again, kid.

What makes you think I was trying to impress you? Oh, some random person online isn't impressed by me? Oh, I'm so disappointed? I was merely posting facts. I'm an econ major at a school that's currently ranked number one in economics. What are some of your economics credentials?

I'm sorry squirt, but a few random hours in a few undergraduate econ courses hardly makes you better at any of this than me. If you were not trying to impress me, then why bring it up? Street cred? It's rather irrelevant to the discussion, and you could be making it up. Do you also know karate?

What you seem to fail to understand is that you don't need any sort of special credentials to talk about economics, other than an ability to think, reason, and read.

Exactly what have I said that runs contrary to popular contemporary economic thought? Oh, right, you think you know better than popular economic thought, don't ya? Because you're so smart, your opinion of economic thought is more valid than the professors who teach it at universities. Mm hmm... :rolleyes:

There are many "economic professors" who teach at universities who do think like I do, but as I pointed out before it's irrelevant.

My last argument isn't a fallacy - really, who do you think you are to talk crap about Ben Bernanke? What do you know about economics? Nothing.

Yes. It was a fallacy - two of them actually.

First, you are doing is what is commonly referred to as a fallacious argument to authority, which arose when you claimed/implied that the authority of Bernake is infallible in principle and can hence be exempted from criticism. You say who am I to criticize Bernake? I'm a thinking a human being. You should try it sometime.

Second, you've made an argumentum ad populum, basically saying that since "most" economists preach one thing, then it's also true. This is patently absurd thinking. The majority do not have a lock on right thinking or action by simply being in the majority.

Try bringing your A game, please.

You seem to keep repeating this, but it is quote obvious the OP is not a troll. He may be guilty of making very similar posts in multiple forums, but a troll he is not. He has been trying to discuss an issue he personally finds important, and your contribution has been nothing more than to try and shut him down. I'd kind of like to think that people in this country would have moved beyond that kind of thinking. The principles that this country was founded on are based in certain natural rights, one of those being the freedom of political speech. So my question is: why do you hate these principles so much? Do alternative ideas threaten you so much that you seem to feel the need to silence someone in opposition to yourself? That puts you in with some strange bedfellows, because I think your tactic would definitely be supported by the North Koreans or the Iranians. Strong work.

Last edited:

Citation please.

Anyway, essentially all you have to do is merely take the gold we do have, and simply divide the money by the number of oz's of gold. Wallah.

I kind of think . . . you had no real clue what you were talking about when you posted. I know you think you were contributing, but . . .

As I said before... [It is a fallacy to believe that we need to expand the money supply to support economic growth. Falling prices is the mechanism by which the same quantity of money can purchase greater quantity and quality of goods over time. If you look at one particular sector, electronics/computers, you see price deflation occurring all the time, and that industry is booming = consumers buy more, better quality products for less money and the industry still profits.]

If quantity is the issue let's have bananas for currency. For 100 years or more we've been fed "economics" which bankers and government want us to believe is great! The result is the Great Depression, recessions, wars, economic fascism; and now what they are trying to paint as just a bad recession. Drive around in Detroit and get a grip for what is going to spread all over the country...

Again - read the "Theory of Money and Credit" by Mises

Why would these bone heads read anything. Someone who claimed to be an expert told them different.

Why try and understand how a stable money supply could actually work?

It's obviously better to be ruled by philosopher kings . . .

Randombetch - I wholeheartedly apologize for the way I replied to your post. I was mad and unleashed my frustrations at you. I believe it must not have been easy for your and your mother to survive without a husband and father. I am truly sorry for ripping you apart. I am glad you are pursuing an education and has aspirations to become a doctor. Just remember - A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all (Oscar Wilde). Don't rely on titles. Question everything...

If quantity is the issue let's have bananas for currency.

You keep repeating this, but you can't remedy a flaw in your logic with humor. For any standard to work, it needs to possess intrinsic value.

Since there isn't enough gold to support our modern currency, you'll need some other material. No other metal, however, is valuable enough and plentiful enough to stand in. Silver, for instance, is only worth about $18 an oz, compared to $1200/oz for gold. Can you imagine the immense quantities of Ag that you would need? How the **** do you transport all that?

Moreover, what other material could surpass gold in its permanence? Bananas last a week at best and silver oxidizes, as do most other metals.

If not gold, then what standard do you propose?

You keep repeating this, but you can't remedy a flaw in your logic with humor. For any standard to work, it needs to possess intrinsic value.

Since there isn't enough gold to support our modern currency, you'll need some other material. No other metal, however, is valuable enough and plentiful enough to stand in. Silver, for instance, is only worth about $18 an oz, compared to $1200/oz for gold. Can you imagine the immense quantities of Ag that you would need? How the **** do you transport all that?

Moreover, what other material could surpass gold in its permanence? Bananas last a week at best and silver oxidizes, as do most other metals.

If not gold, then what standard do you propose?

When using a standard the government can peg the price at more that $18 / oz. That will give it more value. Mainly the reason we use gold is because a) it is rare and b) as you noted, it isn't very volatile.