ED and vaccinations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinner Doc

drop knees, not bombs
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in WA state, which is notorious for its low vax rate (and, recently, pertussis outbreak). It's habit to ask the vax status of pediatric patients, whether it's relevant or not, for PMH purposes.

Maybe I'm more touchy about this today since none of the children I saw on my shift had been vaccinated, but do you ever discuss this with patients/families? The general stance of the medical community is pro-vax, but I never really pushed it with my patients/patients' families as it's rarely relevant to the chief complaint. But in state such as mine where preventable diseases run rampant, do you or would you discuss this briefly with families? Is it the ER doctor's place, much like making a brief anti-smoking plug for the smokers?

Wondering what everyone's practice is. Food for thought.

Members don't see this ad.

I rarely see kids now, but when I did, I found that parents who had decided not to vaccinate arrived at the decision based on their own "research," and no medical opinion or other argument based on actual fact would persuade them otherwise. Parents who refuse to vaccinate for any reason other than allergy are not ignorant of their options or recommendations. If they don't listen to their pediatricians, they certainly won't change their mind based on a 60-second intervention by some ED doc they just met.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have the recommended vaccines? No? well ok then, in that case since he's now at risk for Haemophilus Influenza we'll need to poke with with a needle for blood tests and give him antibiotics to protect him. I'd hate for him to develop Meningitis, end up in the PICU, and end up brain damaged like the last case of that I saw.

Do you have the recommended vaccines? No? well ok then, in that case since he's now at risk for Haemophilus Influenza we'll need to poke with with a needle for blood tests and give him antibiotics to protect him. I'd hate for him to develop Meningitis, end up in the PICU, and end up brain damaged like the last case of that I saw.

This just came up on my 5th ED shift. The parents watched in horror as we LPed their febrile 4 month old. Not sure how enlightened they felt on departure.

Can you talk to my sister-in-law? I can't convince her that she has been and continues to be brainwashed by those stupid websites and their "research." She even posted something about fluoride in the water now. ARGH! I counsel the patients I see if I think there is a chance. I don't go blue in the face though. I know certain populations won't change their mind, so I start with "Is there a reason you don't vaccinate?" to know what I am up against.

Edit: Yes, I gave up on the sister-in-law. I last tried the "we never see those diseases so you better know what they look like and bring it up otherwise your kids could die." She quit talking to me for some months.