Edx Online Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etm5515

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions, positive or negative, on Edx online courses? The reason I ask is that I may be in a situation that I will have to choose between learning biochemistry by means of Edx this spring or delaying my application for next cycle and not being able to apply early. Basically my advisor gave me bad advice (and I was naive enough not to double check her advice) on which courses to take when, and that involved me taking biochem this spring. That would be in perfect timing for the MCAT in April, however biochem is not and was never offered in the Spring at my institution. This leaves me in a bind. Any opinions? Whether on Edx or on my situation in general.

Members don't see this ad.

It isn't acceptable to replace a pre-req, but that website is cool as hell.

Reactions: 2 users
It is not adequate. I've taken some Edx class for fun - but they don't cover nearly enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thank you guys for the information and insight. I was not planning on taking the edx course for a pre-requisite, as it is not one of the required courses. However, I was taking it with the intentions of learning the material for the MCAT. I will take the advice given into consideration!

Biochem is pretty straightforward and can be self taught in like a month, honest. I took it this summer. Glycolosis/gluconeogenesis, glycogen regulation, amino acid properties, RNA translation/transcription, DNA replication, and TCA cycle. That's literally all of it...

It isn't acceptable to replace a pre-req, but that website is cool as hell.

Etm5515 is not wanting to skip a prereq, and one does not need to have all of the prereq completed before you apply.

Etm5515 is not wanting to skip a prereq, and one does not need to have all of the prereq completed before you apply.

Correct @Ukpremed. I actually plan on taking the course next fall, however I am hoping to apply this May and I believe with the Edx course and couple of other resources I can be just as prepared for the MCAT in April as the next test taker.

Are you referring to the course titled Principles of Biochemistry by Harvard University on edx? Am contemplating to take it so would be great to hear from anyone who has taken it!