Effect of "Decline to Respond" on AMCAS ethnicity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anybody know what impact it has on your application if you mark "Decline to Respond" on your AMCAS? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

veddhead said:
Does anybody know what impact it has on your application if you mark "Decline to Respond" on your AMCAS? Thanks.
Personally, if I were an adcom, I'd assume you were an upper-middle class white guy irritated by AA.

I haven't met an ethnic minority who wanted to hide their cultural background in this day and age, but lots o' white folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's probably best to just answer it. like it or not, med schools want to know the racial composition of their incoming class. if you are of an overrepresented group, they will find out sooner or later at the interview.

I am half caucasian and half asian indian so I often don't answer those questions. I mean I could put asian or I could put caucasian, however neither are really correct or wrong...so I usually just leave it *edit oops* blank because I don't really consider myself one or the other.

I think I left it blank both times I applied, dont think it made a difference.

rup47 said:
I am half caucasian and half asian indian so I often don't answer those questions. I mean I could put asian or I could put caucasian, however neither are really correct or wrong...so I usually just leave it black because I don't really consider myself one or the other.

:laugh: (Insert inappropriate comment here)

rup47 said:
I am half caucasian and half asian indian so I often don't answer those questions. I mean I could put asian or I could put caucasian, however neither are really correct or wrong...so I usually just leave it black because I don't really consider myself one or the other.

Biracial applicants and others who they feel as if they don't fit any category (the South American born, Spanish as a first language applicant whose ancestors are from Korean, for example) often leave this blank. Ditto some applicants from the Mideast or of Middle Eastern heritage.

Most adcom members don't care. There are many clues on an application other than race & ethnicity that give a pretty good estimate for the background the applicant brings to the table.

rup47 said:
I am half caucasian and half asian indian so I often don't answer those questions.
Are those boxes usually "select only one"? It seems like in this day and age there would be a way to indicate someone whose multiethnic.